Extreme weather preparation
Our community has experienced some harsh weather in recent years. We've been hit by severe storms and floods at one extreme, and scorching summer heatwaves, lasting several days, at the other. If you are experiencing extreme weather now, these agencies offer up-to-date advice:
- Victoria State Emergency Service (Vic SES) or call 132 500
- Department of Health Victoria
- Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) and download the app
- EPA Victoria
- 774 ABC Melbourne for updated warnings
- VicEmergency website, download the app or call 1800 226 226
- Standard Emergency Warning Signal (SEWS) may air on radio or TV before an urgent broadcast. Listen carefully, as lives may be at risk.
- Register for Australian Government Emergency Alerts
In a storm or flood emergency, call Vic SES on 132 500 and for any life-threatening medical emergencies call 000.
How to prepare
St Kilda Town Hall functions as Port Phillip’s main relief centre. The town hall is located at 99a Carlisle Street, St Kilda. This centre will operate as the key contact centre for large-scale recovery purposes. This includes delivery of government and community services for the duration of an emergency. Smaller neighbourhood community centres may be used for localised service delivery as required.
Translation and interpreting service (TIS)
Call the TIS National Contact Centre on 131 450 for a phone translation service in over 150 languages.
If you require this information in an alternative format, such as large print, audio or braille please contact us via Online Services or call 03 9209 6777.