Please read the Hard Waste Collection Guidelines (PDF 205 KB). If your collection does not comply, it may not be picked up.
This free collection service is for residents to get rid of hard and green waste that can't go into home bins. Understand what we will and won’t pick up.
Number of free collections per year
Your house can book 4 free hard and green waste collections a year. A blocks of flats, apartment building or units can book 6 free collections per year. We also offer an extra free Christmas (real) tree collection each year (from date to date).
Book a collection
Book online anytime. A valid contact phone number is required for all online bookings.
Before booking, please check the guidelines for what can and cannot be collected.
When you book online you will be able to select your preferred pick up date from those available for your area, and we will email you confirmation and information on how to leave your items for collection.
If you cannot book online, please contact ASSIST on 03 9209 6777 during business hours.
Collection guidelines – what we will pick up
If you want to get rid of:
- green waste only we can pick up 2m3 (half a standard trailer load)
- green and hard waste we accept 2m3 of each – to a total of 4m3 (or a standard trailer load)
- a larger item – it must be under 50kg weight and 1.5m length.
If you have more than a trailer load (4m3) you will need to make multiple bookings by phone – call 03 9209 6777 during business hours.
We need you to sort items into 3 piles:
- hard waste: including crockery, carpet, linoleum, mattresses
- green waste: including prunings and weeds (under 1.5m length and bundled, boxed or bagged)
- metal, appliances and e-waste: including empty oil heaters, spouting and any items with a cord or battery.
If your load is too large or not sorted into piles we won’t pick up some of it.
Items we won’t pick up
We won’t accept:
- car batteries, industrial or hazardous waste, asbestos, chemicals, pesticides, paint or other liquid wastes
- excavation or building materials or soil (these go to landfill)
- household waste or recyclables – these go into your household bins.
Putting out your collection
Please put items out on the curb no more than 24 hours before collection day. Make sure you:
- include only things that you know we will pick up
- sort items into 3 neat piles (green, hard and e-waste)
- don't block cars and pedestrians.
If you haven’t booked a service and you put waste on the kerb you can be fined $660 for illegal dumping.
Changing your booking
If you won’t have your collection ready, please tell us at least 2 days before your collection date by phoning ASSIST on 03 9209 6777. We will cancel your old collection date and then you can make a booking for a new date.
Too much waste – other options
If you have used all of your free collections for the year and have more waste, you could take it to our Resource Recovery Centre or find a commercial service.
Reduce, reuse, recycle
We sort items to recover recyclable materials before waste is sent to landfill. Green waste becomes mulch and compost.
You can reduce your waste by shopping wisely and donating your pre-loved items. If your items are still useful, try donating or selling them online before you book a collection. For more information go to Sustainability Victoria: Recycling and reducing waste at home and Planet Ark: Programs