COVID safe requirements, including the wearing of masks and social distancing, are still in place. Due to high demand you may experience a delay. We ask for your patience as we transition back to business as usual.
If you'd prefer to utilise our pick up service, please book a hard and green waste collection.
Port Phillip Resource Recovery Centre is located on the corner of White and Boundary Streets, South Melbourne.
Melway map: 2E/Ref: F11.
- Monday to Friday - 7.30 am to 3.30 pm
- Saturday and Sunday - 9 am to 1 pm
Closed on Public Holidays
What can I dispose of?
Along with accepting general household waste for disposal, we accept the following materials for recycling:
- oils - used motor oil (must be drained from the engine or gearbox) and used household cooking oils
- paint - household amounts only. See below for the list of unaccepted paint products:
- aerosol paints, anti-foul coatings, texture coatings, metal coatings
- automotive paints, traffic paints, paint washings, paint additives
- bagged renders, paint thinners, mineral spirits or solvents, colourants and tints etc.
- green waste including leaves, clippings, pruning, small branches and palm fronds - no soil
- washing machines and other white goods - disposal free of charge to residents only
- iron - small amounts. For large amounts, contact Norstar Steel Recyclers
- used plastic plant pots for re-use which become available free of charge
- electronic waste including mobile phones, household batteries, light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
- mattresses for recycling.
There is a fee for disposal of all non-recyclable garbage. Fee information is below. It is free to dispose of recyclable material in small amounts, charges apply to larger quantities of recycling. For example, a car boot load of flattened cardboard or green waste can be disposed of free of charge, however, a fee will apply for larger amounts.
Our Resource Recovery Centre services are an important step towards a 'Zero Waste' community and in supporting Port Phillip residents to reduce the waste sent to landfill.
Electronic waste (e-waste)
|Vehicle type||Cost - residential||Cost - non-residential*||Equivalent load M3||Definition|
|Boot load||$28||$46||0.25||About the size of a 240L bin|
4' x 4' x 1' IMP
1.2 x 1.2 x 0.35 M.
6' x 4' x 1' IMP
1.8 x 1.2 x 0.35 M.
7' x 5' x 1' IMP
2.1 x 1.5 x 0.35 M.
All prices include 10 per cent GST.
*Non-residential customers: Non-residential customers may be charged to dispose of green waste, cardboard and scrap metal.
Contractors: A fee of $116 per M3 applies to the disposal of contractor waste.
What items are not accepted?
The resource recovery centre is not a licenced chemical processing facility nor equipped to accept chemical waste. Therefore, to reduce risks to staff and visitors, hazardous chemicals and unknown substances aren't accepted.
Hazardous chemicals, if not handled correctly, can have a serious impact on the environment. Please do not place these in your waste or recycling bins.
All dangerous goods/chemicals (including pesticides, cleaning chemicals, solvents, bleach) can be disposed of through the Detox Your Home program. Visit the Detox Your Home page to find out when and where the next events are on in the metropolitan area.
The Resource Recovery Centre does not accept:
- concrete and other heavy or construction waste
These items must be taken to the nearest landfill or tip.
We do not operate a tip within our boundaries. Tips are located nearby for use by the public:
Brooklyn Transfer Station (Cleanaway)
Address: Old Geelong Road, Brooklyn
Phone: 03 9314 2297
- Monday to Friday 7.30 am to 4 pm
- Saturday and Sunday 8 am to 12 midday
- Closed: Good Friday, Anzac Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day.
City of Wyndham Municipal Tip
Address: West's Rd, Werribee
Phone: 03 9974 1001
- Monday to Friday 8 am to 4 pm
- Saturday, Sunday, Public Holidays 8.30 am to 4 pm
- Closed: Christmas Day and Good Friday