Port Phillip Resource Recovery Centre is located on the corner of White and Boundary Streets, South Melbourne.
Melway map: 2E/Ref: F11.
We are open to public with strict COVID safety measures and vehicle limits in place.
Please note: wait times of up to 30 minutes are expected due to physical distancing requirements.
Standard operating hours:
- Monday to Friday - 7.30 am to 3.30 pm
- Saturday and Sunday - 9 am to 1 pm
Closed on Public Holidays
For further enquiries please contact ASSIST on 03 9209 6777.
What can I dispose of?
Along with accepting general household waste for disposal, we accept the following materials for recycling:
- oils - used motor oil (must be drained from the engine or gearbox) and used household cooking oils
- paints (or paint-related products i.e. Mentholated spirits, paint stripper) - household amount only
- small car parts and car batteries
- green waste including leaves, clippings, pruning, small branches and palm fronds - no soil
- washing machines and other white goods - disposal free of charge to residents only
- iron - small amounts. For large amounts, contact Norstar Steel Recyclers
- used plastic plant pots for re-use which become available free of charge
- electronic waste including mobile phones, household batteries, light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
- mattresses for recycling.
All non-recyclable garbage incurs a fee for disposal, as detailed in the fees below. While it is free to dispose of recyclable material in small quantities, charges apply to larger quantities of recycling. For example, a car boot load of flattened cardboard or green waste can be disposed of free of charge, however, a fee will apply for larger volumes.
Our Resource Recovery Centre services are an important step towards a 'Zero Waste' community and in supporting Port Phillip residents to dramatically reduce the volume of waste which is sent to landfill.
Electronic waste (e-waste)
|Vehicle type||Cost - residential||Cost - non-residential*||Equivalent load M3||Definition|
|Boot load||$28||$46||0.25||About the size of a 240L bin|
4' x 4' x 1' IMP
1.2 x 1.2 x 0.35 M.
6' x 4' x 1' IMP
1.8 x 1.2 x 0.35 M.
7' x 5' x 1' IMP
2.1 x 1.5 x 0.35 M.
All prices include 10 per cent GST.
*Non-residential customers: Non-residential customers may be charged to dispose of green waste, cardboard and scrap metal.
Contractors: A fee of $116 per M3 applies to the disposal of contractor waste.
What items are not accepted?
The resource recovery centre is not a licenced chemical processing facility nor equipped to accept chemical waste. Therefore, to reduce risks to staff and visitors to the centre all hazardous chemicals and unknown substances can no longer be accepted.
Hazardous chemicals, if not handled correctly can have a serious impact on the environment so please do not place these in your waste or recycling bins.
All dangerous goods/chemicals (including pesticides, cleaning chemicals, solvents, bleach etc.) can be disposed of through the Detox Your Home program. Click on Detox Your Home locations to find out about these events being run in the metropolitan area over the coming weeks.
As this facility is a Transfer Station, not a landfill, the Resource Recovery Centre does not accept:
- concrete and other heavy or construction waste
These items must be taken to the nearest landfill or tip.
We do not operate a tip within our boundaries. Tips are located nearby for use by the public:
Brooklyn Transfer Station (Cleanaway)
Address: Old Geelong Road, Brooklyn
Phone: 03 9314 2297
- Monday to Friday 7.30 am to 4 pm
- Saturday and Sunday 8 am to 12 midday
- Closed: Good Friday, Anzac Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day.
City of Wyndham Municipal Tip
Address: West's Rd, Werribee
Phone: 03 9974 1001
- Monday to Friday 8 am to 4 pm
- Saturday, Sunday, Public Holidays 8.30 am to 4 pm
- Closed: Christmas Day and Good Friday