The City of Port Phillip only issues road opening permits for excavating non-road reserves (council car parks, foreshore, parks, etc). Applicants need a Working Within Road Reserve Consents for works within the Road Reserve, under the Road Management Act 2004.

The Road Management Act only covers works within the road reserves. When excavating areas not included within the road reserve i.e. parks, foreshore bike paths, walkways and Council managed car parks you will require a Road Opening Permit. For information on Road Opening Permits or to apply, please contact our City Permits team. 

You need to receive a Working Within Road Reserve Consent from Council to dig in any part of the road reserve, managed by Council. This includes works that impact roads, laneways, nature strips or footpaths. Please apply for a Working Within Road Reserve Consent via our web page or contact our City Permits team. 

Approved Council Standard Drawings

For Councils Engineering Standard Drawings refer to the webpage. 

Reinstatement relating to road opening permits

At the completion of works the applicant must notify Council within 24 hours by completing a Final Inspection of Road Opening (PDF 99 KB).

The excavation must be reinstated to Council requirements. Should any further work be undertaken by Council to bring the temporary reinstatement up to Council's standards, the cost will be deducted from the refundable bond.

Any opening within the City of Port Phillip must be back-filled with crushed rock, compacted and finished cold mix (pre-mix).

Existing road opening permits

If you have an existing Road Opening Permit, please continue to follow the conditions of your permit, and submit your request for final inspection upon completion of works, so your security bond can be returned.

The bond will be refunded on the completion of reinstatement provided that there has been no damage to Community assets. If applicable, any refund or invoice will be issued within 20 business days of completion.

Should the applicant request that the reinstatement be undertaken by Council, the work will be inspected and final reinstatement undertaken within 20 business days of receipt of the Final Inspection of Road Opening form.

Are any other permits required

On most occasions during building works, you may need to use Council's surrounding assets to work from or for placement or storage of material or equipment.

If so, you may be required to apply for permit approval. Permits may include: Skip Bin Permit, Street Occupation/Hoarding Permit, Road Closing Permit, Temporary or Permanent Vehicle Crossings, Work Zone Permit, Asset Protection Permit, Out of Hours Permit.