Stormwater discharge point (drainage)

Find out where to discharge the stormwater from your property.

What are drainage access points?

As a property owner, you're responsible for drains on your property, up to the point where they connect to Council’s system.

Your property might connect to a Council:

  • drain
  • kerb
  • channel.

This connection point is a drainage access point. Or a Legal Point of Discharge.

When you apply for a Building Permit, you need to include drainage access points for your property.

How do I find out where my drainage access point is?

You can ask Council for a Legal Point of Discharge Certificate. This will show you where the drainage access point for your property is.

Apply for a Legal Point of Discharge Certificate

You can apply online via My Port Phillip. Make sure you include:

  • a copy of a site plan layout showing both the location of the existing buildings and proposals, such as new buildings and additions
  • payment of the application fee.

To submit your application online:

  1. Register or log in to My Port Phillip
  2. On the home screen, look for the "Apply for something" menu and choose "Apply for a permit or application"
  3. Select Certificates
  4. Choose Stormwater Drainage - Legal Point of Discharge from the list
  5. Complete the application form
  6. Lodge
  7. Confirmation - Accept terms and conditions of use
  8. Summary - Attach any required documents
  9. Payment - Securely pay by credit card.

Report a problem

If you notice a problem with a stormwater drain or pit, you should contact us. Our Infrastructure and Maintenance team can investigate.

You can do this via My Port Phillip.

Support for business

If you’re a business, you can get tailored advice and support from our Business Concierge team.

Our Business Concierge can help you:

  • navigate the permit process if you are opening, growing, or buying a business
  • find the right permits and approvals for your business
  • get information and advice across Council
  • improve the quality of information you provide with your application.

Make an enquiry

Help and support

If you have any questions or need help, please contact the Building team:

Online: My Port Phillip
Phone: 03 9209 6253
In person: visit the Planning and Building Counter at St Kilda Town Hall during opening hours (8.30 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday)

Related Content