Just south of the Yarra River, South Melbourne is one of the oldest areas in Melbourne.
Tell me more about
Nestled between the south bank of the Yarra River and glorious Port Phillip Bay, the bustling hub of South Melbourne is renowned as one of the gastronomic centres of our great city.
With its iconic South Melbourne Market, the surrounding streets of this dynamic area play host to some of the most diverse and eclectic retail strips in our state.
- Clarendon Street
- Coventry Street
- Cecil Street
- Park Street
Things to see and do
- Opened Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the South Melbourne Market has over 140 stalls offering fresh produce, multi-cultural deli specialities, meat, seafood, homewares plus many cafes and restaurants
- A stroll along Clarendon Street and surrounding streets for boutique and eclectic shopping
- Take your pick of well-known cafes, bars and restaurants for a food and drink stop
- Discover South Melbourne's many historic pubs and hotels
- See a street-side view of the Portable Iron Houses from the Gold Rush era
- Explore Australia's first live puzzle game, Escape Room Melbourne
- Visit nearby Fishermans Bend, to check out Half Acre and other local attractions
- Tram routes: 1, 12 and 96
- Bus routes: 253
For timetables and information visit Public Transport Victoria.
Economy ID provides demographic and economic data, population forecasts and interactive demographic maps for South Melbourne including parts of Fishermans Bend.