Council issues permits for prescribed accommodation. For example:

  • rooming houses
  • hotels
  • motels

Domestic scale accommodation, commonly booked online using sites like AirBnB and Stayz, is not considered prescribed accommodation. Property owners don't need a permit from Council as long as the accommodation is:

  • self-contained
  • contains no more than 9 bedrooms
  • accommodates no more than 12 persons.

Contact us

We are here to help with questions or concerns about short-stay accommodation.

Send us a message on My Port Phillip.

Phone: 03 9209 6777

What is Council's role

We don't regulate providers of short-stay accommodation. We can enforce relevant legislation if activity at a short-stay property is not compliant. This includes:

  • Noise regulations in the Environmental Protection Act 2017
  • the Victorian Planning Provisions
  • our Local Law 2013 (Community Amenity).

Our teams can respond to requests and complaints about:

  • noise
  • rubbish
  • parking
  • any other amenity impacts.

In response to feedback from the community, Council has asked for a report that outlines options for regulating and managing short-stay accommodation. The report will be going to Council 4 October 2023, and you can review the recommendations and how you can be involved here

Apartments and owners corporations

The State Government changed the Owners Corporations Act 2006 in 2019. The changes help prevent short-term accommodation in apartment buildings being used to host unruly parties.

Owners corporations and residents can take action against owners and guests. They are held jointly and individually liable for any compensation, fines, and awards for damage to common property.

Further information can be found on the Consumer Affairs Victoria website page on short-stay accommodation.