Due to the evolving COVID-19 situation in Victoria, Council will be following the directions from the Victorian and Australian Governments and Health Department.

All eased restrictions and the proposed dates are subject to the advice of Victoria's Chief Health Officer and the continued and effective management of the spread of COVID-19.

Please visit COVID-19 Council events, services and facilities updates for more information and the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) website for the latest advice on Victoria's restriction levels and daily updates on COVID-19.

Busking is the practice of performing in public places. Whether it be with a musical instrument and/or singing, conjuring, juggling, mime, mimicry, dance, puppetry, performance art, recitation and other appropriate theatrical and visual forms.

Please note musical performances must be acoustic.

Allow up to ten working days for the assessment of this application.

How to apply for a permit

  • Contact Event Services to check suitability
  • Complete an application form and provide the following supporting documentation
    • Proof of identity with current address for each performer. For example, driver’s licence.
    • Current photo of each performer. Two passport sized photos if a hard copy.
    • Persons under 16 years of age must provide written permission from a parent or guardian.
  • You can submit a permit application form along with all required documents via email, post or in person.
  • There is no permit fee in 2020/21
  • The permit will be issued via email and DHHS COVID-19 directions must be followed. The following COVID-19 conditions will also be included on the permit:
    • Performer(s) to ensure they keep up to date and meet the latest DHHS directions and requirements.
    • Be aware that the footpath must remain accessible to all pedestrians to allow a physical distance of 1.5 metres.
    • If a crowd builds, that prevents physical distancing, the performer is to ask people to move on. If this request is not effective, the busker is to stop performing.
    • Performer(s) to keep a record of busking dates, locations and times.

Renewing a permit

When your existing busking permit expires you will need to submit a new application and pay the standard permit fee (if applicable) to receive another 12 month permit.

Busking locations

Your permit covers the City of Port Phillip, with any location restrictions outlined further in the guidelines document provided below.

Busking during the St Kilda Festival requires a separate permit. Contact the St Kilda Festival directly.

Busking at the South Melbourne Market requires a separate permit. Contact the South Melbourne Market directly.

Busking at the St Kilda Esplanade Market requires this busking permit and is then conditional upon gaining prior approval from Market Management.

A card payment fee applies.

Contact Event Services

Online: Online Services
Email: eventpermits@portphillip.vic.gov.au
Post: Event Services, City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3 St Kilda, Victoria, Australia 3182

Related Content