Busking is performing in public places. Whether it be with a musical instrument and/or singing, conjuring, juggling, mime, mimicry, dance, puppetry, performance art, recitation and other theatrical and visual forms.
Please note musical performances must be acoustic.
Please allow up to ten working days for the process of your application.
How to apply for a permit
- Contact Event Services to check suitability
- Complete an application form and provide the following supporting documentation
- Proof of identity with current address for each performer. For example, driver’s licence.
- Current photo of each performer.
- Persons under 16 years of age must provide written permission from a parent or guardian.
- You can submit your application form along with all required documents via email, post or in person.
- There is no permit fee for a permit until 1 July 2022.
Renewing a permit
When your existing busking permit expires you will need to submit a new application and pay the standard permit fee (if applicable) to receive another 12 month permit.
Your permit covers the City of Port Phillip, with any location restrictions outlined further in the guidelines document provided below.
Busking during the St Kilda Festival requires a separate permit. Contact the St Kilda Festival directly.
Busking is no longer allowed inside the South Melbourne Market. City of Port Phillip busking permit holders are permitted to busk in designated locations outside the Market on Cecil and Coventry Streets. For more information, visit the South Melbourne Market website.
Busking at the St Kilda Esplanade Market requires a busking permit approval from the Market Management.
A card payment fee applies.