Work zone permit

A Work Zone permit is used to provide dedicated parking for workers' vehicles during the construction period. The permit may allow for up to four parking bays or 24 metres of road depending on the location.

A work zone should be located in front of the construction site, however Council may consider extending the Work Zones in front of other properties on a case-by-case basis.

Important information

  • Work zones should be located in front of the construction site, however Council may consider extending the Work Zones in front of other properties following an assessment of the situation.
  • The following hours of operation apply:
    • 7 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday,
    • 9 am to 3 pm, Saturday.
    • All clearway restrictions are overriding.
  • Vehicles parked in work zones not displaying the permit are liable for parking fines.
  • Payment must be made prior to the installation of work zone signage.
  • In existing paid parking areas, an additional costs apply.
  • A separate permit is required for the placement of skip bins or other construction equipment on public land.
  • Installation of work zone signage can take up to 10 business days.

Application requirements

The applicant is required to provide 

  • a fully dimensioned site plan demonstrating the location and length of the subject site, together with the length of the proposed Work Zone and number of parking bays to be occupied.
  • a letter of consent from the adjacent property owners stating that they do not object to the proposed Work Zone in front of their premises (if applicable)

What does the permit cost?

Application fee - $109.40, plus

Permit fees:

  • 3-months or less - $1,385.50
  • 6-months - $2,771.00
  • 9-months - $4,156.50
  • 12-months - $5,542.00

Permit extension fees:

  • Extension per month - $884.60
  • Additional parking bays, in excess of four, per bay, per month - $276
  • Additional costs may be applicable for metered/restricted parking - POA

Replacement work zone signage if damaged, lost, or stolen - $414.10

How do I lodge my application?

Apply online: Visit Online Services where you can lodge your request. You will be taken through the following steps to complete your request:

  • Register/Log in - you must register and/or log in to apply for a Development Permit
  • Select the permit type - select the type of permit under Apply for a Development Permit
  • Address search - allows you to select your address to which your permit will be allocated
  • Name - click on the Click to Add Name icon to enter your name and contact details if it is not already showing
  • Enter details - enter relevant information and attach the required documents (see application form)
  • Confirmation - confirm your application details and agree to the terms and conditions of permit use
  • Payment - securely pay by credit card and a receipt number will be issued

Alternatively, you can submit a complete Work Zone Permit Application form (PDF 112 KB), all supporting documents. For advice phone (03) 9209 6216.

If assessment of the application determines it is appropriate to issue a permit, additional parking bay charges must be paid before the permit will be issued.

Applications take 10 business days to assess provided no further information or changes are required.

card payment fee applies.

Work Zone signage removal

Before a work zone permit expires the permit-holder will be contacted to discuss the need to extend the permit. If no contact can be made  the signage will be removed and the parking retained to the community.

Are any other permits required?

On most occasions during building works, you may need to use Council’s surrounding assets to work from or for placement or storage of material or equipment.

If so, you may be required to apply for permit approval. Permits may include: Skip Bin Permit, Street Occupation/Hoarding Permit, Road Closing Permit, Street Occupation Permit, Work Zone Permit, Asset Protection Permit, Out of Hours Permit.

More information

Contact Us or use Online Services to ask us a question, request information or give us feedback online. Ask for Development Permits.

Related Content