The arts are an essential part of the cultural diversity, creativity and prosperity of our communities.
The Cultural Development Fund (CDF) grants program has been developed by Council to support artists, arts and cultural organisations and creative community projects in the City of Port Phillip.
Projects should contribute to the Council Plan strategic directions to guide our program priorities for the future. Projects will be evaluated according to how well they meet these priorities:
- Vibrant: with a flourishing economy, where our community and local business thrive, and we maintain and enhance our reputation as one of Melbourne’s cultural and creative hubs.
- Inclusive: a place for all members of our community, where people feel supported and comfortable being themselves and expressing their identities.
About CDF- Festivals and Events grants
Council’s CDF-Festival and Events grants will have two rounds in 2022/23
- Round 1 – opening in July 2022 for events taking place between January – December 2023
- Round 2 – opening in December 2022 for events taking place between July 2023 and June 2024
Applicants can now apply for up to $20,000 per event.
The grants aim to encourage and assist not-for-profit organisations and community groups to develop local neighbourhood festivals or events that celebrate the City’s community spirit, identity, arts and culture.
This fund is intended for seed and development funding. Applicants are encouraged to seek out other sources of sponsorship to complement the support of council. Event organisers may apply for support for logistics and infrastructure costs associated with festivals and events.
Funding provided in the current financial year does not assure that funding will be available in future years.
CDF Festivals and Events - Round 1
This grant round has now closed.
Applicants will be notified in November 2022.
Project activity of successful applicants will occur between January 2023 and December 2023
CDF-Festivals and Events program objectives:
- Support organisations to develop and manage creative and cultural festivals and events in the City of Port Phillip
- Support capacity building, mentoring, partnerships or collaborative development, and arts engagement activities
- Support and engage diverse communities of all ages and backgrounds, including the development of work that engages with the wider Port Phillip community
- Generate arts, cultural and heritage activity in our neighbourhoods and precincts
Eligibility - Who can apply
To be eligible to apply, applicants must be:
- Incorporated not-for-profit arts, cultural or community organisations. Organisations from outside City of Port Phillip may apply if the festival or event is held in the City of Port Phillip and engages with Port Phillip participants and community.
- Have organisational Public Liability Insurance to the value of $20 Million.
- Able to provide an ABN (Australian Business Number).
How to apply
Please read the 2022/23 Guidelines and criteria carefully before beginning your application.
All City of Port Phillip grants use the Smartygrants online application system.
The link to preview or begin an online application will be available here on 25 July.
To find out how to log in and set up a password, read the Smartygrants applicant help guide (PDF 2.2 MB).
Click on the Apply button when you are ready to begin.
Making your event accessible
We are committed to equitable participation in events, programs and activities in our community. The Accessibility and Disability Inclusion Fact Sheet for Arts Grants Applicants contains resources you can explore when applying for a grant to help include the people with disability when organising, planning and budgeting for your event or program of activities:
Planning for your event
Applicants proposing a project in a venue or public space may need to consider any Victorian Government COVID-safe plan events.
Applicants should be familiar with venue COVID-safe plans as part of any venue hire arrangement.
Applicants planning events in public space will be required to apply for a COPP Events permit.
To find out how to apply for an event permit with a COVID-safe plan, or for any general queries about your project application, contact the CDF-Festivals and Events Grants Program Officer on:
Tel: 03 9209 6217
Mob: 0466 752 942
Previously funded projects
In 2021 Council awarded $83,604 for 11 successful projects.