Public Realm Masterplan
The Domain precinct is experiencing great change due to activities led by both the Victorian Government and commercial sector.
To respond to the opportunities and challenges this change presents, we developed a Public Realm Masterplan (PDF 6.7 MB) which proposes a range of improvements to the Domain precinct's public realm, including footpaths, roads, trees and streetscapes. It includes:
- a vision for the precinct
- an historical and contemporary context
- an urban context analysis
- a summary of the community engagement process to date
- plans, sections and images that detail the proposed improvements
- suggested steps for implementing the Masterplan
- funding opportunities.
The Masterplan, developed through three stages of community engagement during 2018 and 2019, demonstrates the community’s vision and design principles for a well-designed and connected precinct.
Further steps are required to take the projects described in the Masterplan forward to deliver physical changes in the precinct.
Detailed design of projects identified in the Masterplan will involve feasibility and site analysis to prepare construction-ready designs. Delivery is dependent on the availability of funding and prioritisation of the project in Council's annual budget.
The Masterplan is also used to inform Council's other strategic projects, such as the Public Space Strategy and ongoing advocacy with key stakeholders.
Other projects in the Domain precinct
These are some of the important projects and initiatives underway or recently completed in the Domain precinct:
- Albert Park Masterplan
- ANZAC Station construction
- Metro Tunnel Project
- Park Street Streetscape Improvement Project
- St Kilda Road Safety Improvement Project