Outdoor weddings and celebrations

If you are organising a private celebration, gathering, wedding or wedding photography in any of the City of Port Phillip’s public open spaces you may need an event permit. Permits ensure public safety and amenity in public spaces and assist in the sustainable management of our parks and foreshore.

Due to the evolving COVID-19 situation in Victoria, Council will be following the directions from the Victorian and Australian Governments and Health Department.

All eased restrictions and the proposed dates are subject to the advice of Victoria's Chief Health Officer and the continued and effective management of the spread of COVID-19.

Please visit COVID-19 Council events, services and facilities updates for more information and the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) website for the latest advice on Victoria's restriction levels and daily updates on COVID-19.

Amplified music played in public open space requires a permit. Personal music devices such as a phone connected to a single, low powered speaker is exempt.

All amplified music must comply with Local Law - Clause 52, A person must not behave on Council land in a manner which causes interference with the quiet enjoyment by any other.

When is a permit required?

You will require an event permit if one or more of the following apply:

  • there are 20 or more attendees
  • the event involves additional structures such as a 3x3m marquee
  • the event involves a legal ceremony such as a wedding
  • wedding photography and or videography only.
Palm tree lined pathway leading up to the Catani Gardens rotunda

Catani Gardens Rotunda, St Kilda

The information below applies to private gatherings including birthday parties, celebrations, weddings and wedding photography. For commercial events, promotions and any event with more than 200 attendees see Outdoor Events and Activities for relevant permitting information.

If you are organising your next corporate event such an end of year work celebration you will need to apply as per our outdoor corporate events page.

If you are planning a public assembly, demonstration, protest or rally, we would like to hear from you.

Get an event permit

To obtain a permit and the costs, you will need to make a booking.

As part of the booking process, you need to:

  1. Read the Weddings and Celebrations Guidelines (PDF 324 KB) and Weddings and Celebrations Fees (PDF 157 KB). Please also refer to the frequently asked questions section below for more information.
  2. Log into our booking portal to check location availability and request your date.
  3. Applications are reviewed by an Events Adviser who will contact the event organiser for any clarification required.
  4. An invoice for the permit fees and public liability insurance will issued to you via email and available on the web portal.
  5. Once payment has been received an event permit will be issued by email.

A card payment fee applies.

The following help cards can help you make your booking:

Alcohol bans

The new local law is now in effect regarding alcohol on the beach and in foreshore reserves in St Kilda. For full details, visit alcohol bans.

If you are planning on having alcohol at your event or wedding, a liquor licence may be required. This can be obtained from the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) or if you have a caterer supplying the alcohol, they would need to provide their liquor licence. Please note eight weeks may be required for the processing of a liquor licence, check these time frames with the VCGLR.

No liquor licence is required if you are providing your own alcohol to guests, free of charge.

Popular locations for weddings and celebrations

Please refer to these maps in your application to indicate the area of the open space you would like to use.

Alma Park EastAlma Park permitted areas, East (PDF 2.8 MB)

Location mapLayout map
Alma Park WestAlma Park permitted areas, West (PDF 0.7 MB)
Catani GardensCatani Gardens permitted areas (PDF 0.7 MB)
Elwood BeachElwood Beach permitted areas (PDF 0.5 MB)
Middle Park BeachMiddle Park Beach permitted areas (PDF 0.7 MB)
Point OrmondPoint Ormond permitted areas (PDF 0.78 MB)
Port Melbourne BeachPort Melbourne Beach permitted areas (PDF 0.77 MB)
St Kilda BeachSt Kilda Beach permitted areas (PDF 0.7 MB)
St Kilda Botanical GardensSt Kilda Botanical Gardens permitted areas (PDF 0.3 MB)
St Vincent GardensSt Vincent Gardens permitted areas (PDF 0.3 MB)

Celebrations or weddings on piers

Contact the relevant organisations below, who manage the piers along the foreshore, for permission to use the following:

For all weddings on other piers and at Albert Park Lake and Reserve, please contact Parks Victoria.

Rotunda covered in pink rose vines in the rose garden at the St Kilda Botanical Gardens

St Kilda Botanical Gardens, Rose Garden Rotunda

Frequently asked questions

Port Melbourne Bandstand Rotunda with palm tree and Port Melbourne beach in the background

Port Melbourne Bandstand Rotunda

Table, chairs and aisle runner wedding ceremony set up in the St Kilda Botanical Gardens rose garden rotunda

St Kilda Botanical Gardens, Rose Garden Rotunda

Contact Event Services

Online: Online Services
Email: eventpermits@portphillip.vic.gov.au
Post: Event Services, City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3 St Kilda, Victoria, Australia 3182

If you are unable to access the web portal, please complete a Weddings and Celebrations Application form (PDF 189 KB) and the Community Liability Insurance application form (PDF 56 KB)

Related Content