Public assemblies, demonstrations and protests

Groups or individuals do not need permission from City of Port Phillip to hold a public assembly, demonstration, protest or rally. It helps a lot if you notify Council of your activity to ensure any effects to public spaces are planned for, and impacted businesses and services are notified.

Notify Council

Before notifying Council, we encourage you to contact Victoria Police to discuss your plans.

Consider the following:

  • Ensure you have adequate insurance coverage
  • Leave sufficient space for others to safely pass
  • Be respectful of local residents and businesses, maintaining access and keeping noise to a reasonable level.

Tell us about your activity