Street occupation may involve:
- fencing off part of a road;
- erecting a hoarding, scaffolding or overhead protective awning;
- using a mobile crane or travel tower for any building works; and
- leaving or storing any building, paving or other construction materials or any tools, machinery, plant or equipment.
Applications take five business days to assess provided no further information or changes are required. Works must not commence without a permit.
What do you need to apply for a permit?
To complete a permit application, you will be asked to provide:
- Traffic Management Plan (TMP). See an example of a TMP01 - Traffic Management Plan (PDF 245 KB)
- public Liability Insurance / certificate of currency - minimum amount $20 million
- memorandum of authorisation (MOA) - from VicRoads if required
- other documents as specified in the application
- report and consent and Asset protection permit number if related to a building permit.
Visit Online Services where you can lodge your request. You will be taken through the following steps to complete your request:
- register/Log in - you must register and/or log in to apply for a Development Permit
- select the permit type - select the type of permit under Apply for a Development Permit
- address search - allows you to select your address to which your permit will be allocated
- name - select the 'Click to Add Name' icon to enter your name and contact details if it is not already showing
- enter details - enter relevant information and attach the required documents (see application form)
- confirmation - confirm your application details and agree to the terms and conditions of permit use
- payment - securely pay by credit card and a receipt number will be issueApply using a printed form
Apply using a printed form
Complete a Street Occupation Application Form (PDF 130 KB) and deliver via:
Post: Development Permits, the City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3, St Kilda VIC 3182
In person: Planning and Building counter, St Kilda Town Hall, cnr Carlisle St and Brighton Rd, St Kilda
Fees and charges
Application fee: $109.40
Permit fee: $131.90, plus
- standard occupation: $2.55 per square metre, or
- with gantry: $1.55 per square metre
- standard occupation: $17.85 per square metre, or
- with gantry: $10.85 per square metre
Occupation of metered/restricted parking fee: price on application.
A card payment fee applies.
- in an emergency or urgent circumstances
- works carried out in accordance with the Road Management Act 2004
- works undertaken by contractors on behalf of or for the City of Port Phillip.
Exemption notification: Council must be advised of the location of exempt works before commencement before works occur, or in an emergency or urgent circumstances the next working day after the works have begun.
Are any other permits required?
If you need to use Council assets to work from or to place or store materials or equipment, you may require an asset protection permit, skip bin permit, road/lane closure permit, vehicle crossing permit, work zone permit, or an out of hours permit.
Telephone: (03) 9209 6216
Hours: Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5 pm