Asset Protection permit

An Asset Protection permit is required by a builder to carry out building or demolition works in the City of Port Phillip. The permit ensures community assets and infrastructure are not damaged as a result of works.

Assessment process

Once Council has received notification from your building surveyor of intended building and/or demolition works, a letter with an application is sent to the property owner notifying the requirement to obtain an Asset Protection permit prior to commencing works.

Council's Asset Protection Officer will undertake an inspection of the area to determine the bond amount within 10 business days.

After payment of the bond the Asset Protection permit will be issued.

Important information

  • Council assets must not be damaged by the building works. Any damage may result in fines to the permit holder and/or builder.
  • The City of Port Phillip reserves the right to undertake all rectification works for damage to Council assets and will deduct these costs from the security bond. The City of Port Phillip will seek to recover any further costs if the bond does not cover the rectification costs.
  • If building works commence without an Asset Protection permit, infringement notices may be issued to the property owner and/or builder for failing to comply with the Council's Local Law. In this situation, Council will assume that there was no existing damage to public assets prior to the commencement of the building works.
  • Any damage to Council's assets by Service Authorities will be the owners/permit holder's responsibility.

What does the permit cost

Application and inspection fees:

  • Re‐blocking or underpinning - $260.00
  • Demolition (does not include any building works) - $250
  • Building works between $5,000 and $20,000 - $364
  • Building works over $20,000 other than those types listed below: - $364
  • Single dwelling construction - $908
  • Unit development ‐ up to 4 units - $1,090
  • Unit development ‐ more than 4 units and up to 8 units - $2,412

Bond – Refunded after full reinstatement to Council’s satisfaction: Price on application.

Please refer to our Fee Schedule for a list of all permit fees and charges: Development Permits Fee Schedule 2324FY.pdf 155KB.

A card payment fee applies.

How do I lodge my application

Follow these steps to apply online:

  1. Register or log in using registration details
  2. Apply for a permit
  3. Select permit type
  4. Address
  5. Lodge
  6. Confirmation - Accept terms and conditions of use
  7. Summary - Attach any required documents
  8. Payment - Securely pay by credit card

Alternatively, you can submit a Asset Protection Application (PDF 98 KB) form along with all required documents via email, post or in person. If your application is approved, the fee (if applicable) must be paid before the permit can be issued.

For advice call 03 9209 6216.

Are any other permits required

On most occasions during building works, you may need to use Council’s surrounding assets to work from or for placement or storage of material or equipment.

If so, you may be required to apply for permit approval. Permits may include:

  • Skip Bin Permit
  • Street Occupation or Hoarding Permit
  • Road Opening Permit
  • Temporary or Permanent Vehicle Crossings
  • Work Zone Permit
  • Asset Protection Permit
  • Out of Hours Permit.

For information please refer to Construction Permits.

Notification of completion of works

At the completion of all building and associated works, the applicant must submit a Request for Final Inspection (PDF 88 KB) to request the return of the bond.

Related Content