Get an event permit
To get a permit and quote for the permit fees, you will need to make a booking.
As part of the booking process, you need to:
- Read the following documents:
Weddings and Celebrations Guidelines (121 KB)
Weddings and Celebrations Fees (PDF 119 KB)
Please be sure to read the frequently asked questions section below for more information.
- Log into our booking portal to check location availability and request your date.
- Applications are reviewed by an Events Manager, who will contact you within 5 business days.
- An invoice for the permit and public liability insurance will be sent to you via email.
- Once payment has been made, an event permit will be sent by email.
A card payment fee applies.
The following help cards can help you make your booking:
Do I need a permit?
You will need an event permit if:
- there are 20 or more people at your event
- the event involves structures such as a 3x3m marquee
- the event involves a legal ceremony such as a wedding
- wedding photography and or videography only.
Amplified music played in public open space requires a permit. Personal music devices such as a phone connected to a single, low powered speaker is allowed.
All amplified music must comply with Local Law - Clause 52, A person must not behave on Council land in a manner which causes interference with the quiet enjoyment by any other.
We understand neighbours’ desire to gather together and celebrate collectively with a street party. This neighbourhood spirit and connection was one of the unexpected benefits of the pandemic period and we fully support it continuing. Street parties require a permit that includes supporting documentation. We do not organise the event, arrange the road closure or supply any equipment.
A street party requires:
- a traffic management plan
- a public notice advising of the street closure
- public liability insurance
- proof of support – 80% resident consent required from closed street (name, address and signature required)
- temporary safety barriers around the road closure.
Port Phillip already hosts up to 600 events per year. We need to be mindful of the considerable impact to residents of the road closures many of these events require. If you'd like to hold a party or gathering for your local neighbourhood – and this can’t be accommodated in somebody’s garden, please consider choosing one of our many parks and open spaces. Also, take a look at the community event planning checklist for information on planning your event.
The information below is for private events including birthday parties, celebrations, weddings and wedding photography. For corporate, commercial events, promotions and any event with more than 200 attendees see Outdoor Events and Activities for relevant permitting information.
If you are planning a public assembly, demonstration, protest or rally, we would like to hear from you.
Our Local Law is in effect regarding alcohol on the beach and in foreshore reserves in St Kilda. For full details, visit alcohol bans.
If you are planning on having alcohol at your event or wedding, a liquor licence may be required. This can be obtained from the Liquor Control Victoria, or if you have a caterer supplying the alcohol, they would need to provide their liquor licence. Please note eight weeks may be required for the processing of a liquor licence, check these time frames with the VCGLR.
No liquor licence is required if you are providing your own alcohol to guests, free of charge.
Popular locations for weddings and celebrations
Please refer to these maps in your application to indicate the area of the open space you would like to use.
Celebrations or weddings on piers
Contact the relevant organisations below, who manage the piers along the foreshore, for permission to use the following:
- Princes Pier, contact The Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions
- Station Pier, contact Victorian Ports Corporation (Melbourne)
For all weddings on other piers and at Albert Park Lake and Reserve, please contact Parks Victoria.
Frequently asked questions
Contact Event Services
Post: Event Services, City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3 St Kilda, Victoria, Australia 3182
If you are unable to access the web portal, please complete a Weddings and Celebrations Application form (PDF 177 KB) and the Community Liability Insurance application form (PDF 55 KB)