Outdoor weddings and celebrations - permits and bookings

Private celebrations, gatherings, parties, weddings or wedding photography in any of our public open spaces may need a permit.

Permits ensure safety and amenity in public spaces and assist in the sustainable management of our parks and foreshore.

Get an event permit

To get a permit and quote for the permit fees, you will need to make a booking.

As part of the booking process, you need to:

  1. Read the following documents:
    Weddings and Celebrations Guidelines (121 KB)
    Weddings and Celebrations Fees (PDF 119 KB)
    Please be sure to read the frequently asked questions section below for more information.
  2. Log into our booking portal to check location availability and request your date.
  3. Applications are reviewed by an Events Manager, who will contact you within 5 business days. 
  4. An invoice for the permit and public liability insurance will be sent to you via email.
  5. Once payment has been made, an event permit will be sent by email.

A card payment fee applies.

The following help cards can help you make your booking:

Do I need a permit?

You will need an event permit if:

  • there are 20 or more people at your event
  • the event involves structures such as a 3x3m marquee
  • the event involves a legal ceremony such as a wedding
  • wedding photography and or videography only.

Amplified music played in public open space requires a permit. Personal music devices such as a phone connected to a single, low powered speaker is allowed.

All amplified music must comply with Local Law - Clause 52, A person must not behave on Council land in a manner which causes interference with the quiet enjoyment by any other.

Street parties

We understand neighbours’ desire to gather together and celebrate collectively with a street party. This neighbourhood spirit and connection was one of the unexpected benefits of the pandemic period and we fully support it continuing. Street parties require a permit that includes supporting documentation. We do not organise the event, arrange the road closure or supply any equipment. 

A street party requires:

  • a traffic management plan
  • a public notice advising of the street closure
  • public liability insurance
  • proof of support – 80% resident consent required from closed street (name, address and signature required)
  • temporary safety barriers around the road closure.

Port Phillip already hosts up to 600 events per year. We need to be mindful of the considerable impact to residents of the road closures many of these events require. If you'd like to hold a party or gathering for your local neighbourhood – and this can’t be accommodated in somebody’s garden, please consider choosing one of our many parks and open spaces. Also, take a look at the community event planning checklist for information on planning your event.

The information below is for private events including birthday parties, celebrations, weddings and wedding photography. For corporate, commercial events, promotions and any event with more than 200 attendees see Outdoor Events and Activities for relevant permitting information.

If you are planning a public assembly, demonstration, protest or rally, we would like to hear from you.

Alcohol bans

Our Local Law is in effect regarding alcohol on the beach and in foreshore reserves in St Kilda. For full details, visit alcohol bans.

If you are planning on having alcohol at your event or wedding, a liquor licence may be required. This can be obtained from the Liquor Control Victoria, or if you have a caterer supplying the alcohol, they would need to provide their liquor licence. Please note eight weeks may be required for the processing of a liquor licence, check these time frames with the VCGLR.

No liquor licence is required if you are providing your own alcohol to guests, free of charge.

Popular locations for weddings and celebrations

Please refer to these maps in your application to indicate the area of the open space you would like to use.

Location mapLayout map
Alma Park EastAlma Park permitted areas, East (PDF 2.8 MB)
Alma Park WestAlma Park permitted areas, West (PDF 0.7 MB)
Elwood BeachElwood Beach permitted areas (PDF 0.5 MB)
Middle Park BeachMiddle Park Beach permitted areas (PDF 0.7 MB)
Point OrmondPoint Ormond permitted areas (PDF 0.78 MB)
Port Melbourne BeachPort Melbourne Beach permitted areas (PDF 0.77 MB)
St Kilda BeachSt Kilda Beach permitted areas (PDF 0.7 MB)
St Kilda Botanical GardensSt Kilda Botanical Gardens permitted areas (PDF 0.3 MB)
St Vincent GardensSt Vincent Gardens permitted areas (PDF 0.3 MB)

Celebrations or weddings on piers

Contact the relevant organisations below, who manage the piers along the foreshore, for permission to use the following:

For all weddings on other piers and at Albert Park Lake and Reserve, please contact Parks Victoria.

Rotunda covered in pink rose vines in the rose garden at the St Kilda Botanical Gardens

St Kilda Botanical Gardens, Rose Garden Rotunda

Frequently asked questions

Contact us

Our Events Services team is here to help.

Send us a message on My Port Phillip.

Email: minorevents@portphillip.vic.gov.au

Post: Event Services, City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3 St Kilda, Victoria, Australia 3182