Vehicle crossing permit

A vehicle crossing permit must be obtained to construct a temporary or permanent vehicle crossing, under Community Amenity Local Law (2023), Clause 12.

Permanent vehicle crossing

The applicant is required to:

  • submit a complete Permanent Vehicle Crossing Application (PDF 112 KB), with required documentation,
  • provide a detailed site plan/drawing of the subject site, fully scaled and dimensioned, including physical constraints, including pits, poles, drainage points, street trees, any existing/redundant vehicle crossovers to the subject site, etc.
  • provide a copy of current Public Liability Insurance for $20 million (minimum).

Temporary vehicle crossing

A temporary vehicle crossing permit must be obtained to allow a temporary access point for vehicle/s to cross from the road to an abutting property during the period of building work.

A temporary vehicle crossing can be constructed of timber panels, however, only for a maximum period of six (6) weeks. A temporary crossing in excess of six (6) weeks is to be of semi-permanent construction.

For further information phone City Permits on 03 9209 6216.

The applicant is required to:

  • Submit a complete Temporary Vehicle Crossing Application (PDF 109 KB).
  • Provide a detailed site plan/drawing (scaled 1:200) of the proposed vehicle crossing showing all physical constraints (posts, poles, infrastructure, street trees); including the proposed location of the crossing; and internal dimensions of the parking space.

CoPP Standard Drawings will be released upon the issue of your permit.


Before deciding upon an application an officer will take into consideration:

  • any loss of on-street parking for the greater community and demand in the immediate area,
  • the proposed access point and vehicular movements,
  • safety impacts on pedestrians, road users and the public,
  • whether the location is a local or main arterial road, any impacts upon utility services, infrastructure and public assets, including street trees,
  • safety impacts on pedestrians, road users and the public,
  • any other matter that is relevant.

Applications take a minimum of 15 business days to assess provided no further information or changes are required. Works must not commence without a permit.

Prior to construction

If a permit is granted, the permit may also require alterations to public assets or infrastructure such as street signs, parking metres or road line-markings, at the property owner’s expense.

In some instances, an amenity value determined by Council for the loss of a street tree must be paid prior to the granting of a permit, or other requirements that may be determined in the assessment.

What does a permit cost?

Application fee for temporary vehicle crossing: $185.00, or

Application fee for permanent vehicle crossing: $290.00, plus +

Permit fee: $205.00

Bond: $1,800 (refundable after full reinstatement to satisfaction of Council)

Additional costs may be applicable for relocating street furniture, trees, line-marking, replacement of signs.

Please refer to our Fee Schedule for a list of all permit fees and charges: Development Permits Fee Schedule 2024-25 (PDF 740KB).

How do I lodge my application?

If assessment of the application determines it is appropriate to issue a permit, the permit fee and other charges must be paid before the permit will be issued.

Follow these steps to apply online:

  1. Register or log in using registration details
  2. Apply for a permit
  3. Select permit type
  4. Address
  5. Lodge
  6. Confirmation - Accept terms and conditions of use
  7. Summary - Attach any required documents
  8. Payment - Securely pay by credit card

Alternatively, you can submit a permit application form along with all required documents via email, post or in person. If your application is approved, the fee (if applicable) must be paid before the permit can be issued.

For advice phone 03 9209 6216.

A card payment fee applies.

Request a Final Inspection and bond refund

To request a final inspection of a completed vehicle crossing and removal of any redundant crossing, the applicant must notify Council within 24 hours by submitting a Vehicle Crossing Final Inspection application (PDF 98 KB).

Any excavation must be reinstated to Council requirements. Should any further work be undertaken by Council to bring the temporary reinstatement up to Council's standards, the cost will be deducted from the bond. Any opening within the Port Phillip must be back filled with crushed rock, compacted and finished cold mix (pre-mix).

Should the applicant request that the reinstatement be undertaken by Council, the work will be inspected and final reinstatement will be undertaken within 28 days of receipt of the Request for Reinstatement of Road Opening form (PDF 99 KB). If applicable, any refund or invoice will be issued within 14 days of completion.

The bond will be refunded on the completion of reinstatement provided there has been no damage to Community assets. Should reinstatement be undertaken by Council, any refund or invoice will be issued on completion of reinstatement (if applicable).

Are any other permits required?

On most occasions during building works, you may need to use Council’s surrounding assets to work from or for placement or storage of material or equipment.

If so, you may be required to apply for permit approval. Permits may include: Skip Bin Permit, Street Occupation/Hoarding Permit, Road Closing Permit, Street Occupation Permit, Work Zone Permit, Asset Protection Permit, Out of Hours Permit.

Contact us

Our City Permits team is here to help.

Send us a message online on My Port Phillip.

Phone: 03 9209 6216 Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 5 pm.