Out of hours permit

An out of hours permit must be obtained to carry out works during any period outside standard hours, under Community Amenity Local Law 2023, Clause 52

Council's Local Law allows building works to be carried out on a building site during the following hours:

  • 7 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday
  • 9 am to 5 pm Saturday

A builder must not carry out building works on a building site on a public holiday as defined by the Public Holidays Act 1993.

An Out of Hours Permit must be obtained to carry out works during any period outside of these hours.

Important information

  • Allow five clear business days to assess your completed application.
  • A permit cannot be issued to perform building works on a public holiday.
  • If a permit is granted, the permit holder must provide a minimum of 2 business days notification to the occupants of adjoining residents and businesses.
  • Be mindful of the impact of your works on nearby neighbours and communicate your works to them at the earliest opportunity.
  • Considerations for granting a permit include the reasons for needing to perform the works, the time of day or night, the length of time and intensity of the noise levels that will be emitted by the works.
  • Only the works specified on the permit can be undertaken.
  • Failure to obtain a permit or comply with the permit conditions may result in an infringement.
  • The permit does not override the requirements of the Environment Protection Act regulations and penalties, which continue to apply. Noise outside the requirements of the Environment Protection Act Schedule is not authorised under this permit.

What does the permit cost?

$118 application fee, plus $430 permit fee (per day).

Fees are invoiced when your complete application is received.

Please refer to our Fee Schedule for a list of all permit fees and charges: Development Permits Fee Schedule 2324FY.pdf 155KB.

How do I lodge my application?

Follow these steps to apply online:

  1. Register or log in using registration details
  2. Apply for a permit
  3. Select permit type
  4. Address
  5. Lodge
  6. Confirmation - Accept terms and conditions of use
  7. Summary - Attach any required documents
  8. Payment - Securely pay by credit card

Alternatively, you can submit a Working outside construction hours application (PDF 217 KB) along with all required documents via email, post or in person. If your application is approved, the fee (if applicable) must be paid before the permit can be issued.

A card payment fee applies.

Are any other permits required?

On most occasions during building works, you may need to use Council’s surrounding assets to work from or for placement or storage of material or equipment.

If so, you may be required to apply for permit approval. Permits may include:

  • Skip Bin Permit
  • Street Occupation or Hoarding Permit
  • Road Opening Permit
  • Temporary or Permanent Vehicle Crossings
  • Work Zone Permit
  • Asset Protection Permit
  • Out of Hours Permit.

For information please refer to Construction Permits.

Related Content