Are your contact details up to date?
Updating your contact details assists us to reunite you with your lost pet and ensures you don’t miss out on any important communications.
A change of details may include:
- A change of address within the municipality
- Your contact details have changed (mobile phone number, preferred email address)
- Your pet has been recently de-sexed – this will reduce your renewal fee (must provide proof of de-sexing)
- You have become eligible for State concession (must provide proof of State Concession card)
- Lost or damaged Council registration tag (a replacement will be posted to you free of charge)
Pet registration is a legal requirement under the Domestic Animals Act 1994. All dogs and cats three months of age and over must be registered with Council.
Failing to register your dog or cat may result in either a penalty or make you liable to prosecution or both.
Which pets must be registered?
All dogs and cats three months of age and over must be registered with Council.
Most puppies and kittens are purchased or obtained between the age of eight to twelve weeks. Registering pets at a younger age ensures that more lost puppies and kittens can be returned to their owners.
Lowering the pet registration age may encourage early age desexing of dogs and cats. This may in turn prevent the breeding of unwanted dogs and cats.
Renew your existing animal registration
You can pay your existing Animal Registration Renewal Online.
As well as being a legal requirement, paying your pet's registration and displaying a registration tag is a good way of ensuring that your pet can be returned if lost.
Please note: An Animal Registration year runs from 10 April to 9 April the following year or part thereof and is not 12 months from the date your pet is registered. The current registration year is 10 April 2021 to 9 April 2022.
Register a new animal for the first time
You can register a new animal online:
- Please provide any supporting documentation such as desexing certificates, proof of purchase, Guide or Customs dog certificates or a copy of your concession card
- Registration tags are not transferable between animals.
- Please check our fee structure before processing payment as we offer a range of discounts you may be eligible for.
You can also download our new animal registration form (PDF 116 KB) and return the completed form with the fee to one of the Town Halls cashiers and a tag will be issued on the spot. If you are paying online or by mail, the tag will be posted to you.