You may need to apply for multiple permits including a Planning permit. To find which permits you need and make a single application, or to talk to our Business Concierge, visit the business permits page.

To find out which type of licence you need, use the VCGLR's licence selector tool.

Licensees can also apply for a free temporary limited licence to use in public external or outdoor areas that are not currently authorised under their existing licence. You should be mindful of COVID-19 restrictions that relate to your location and Council planning requirements.

Face coverings and checking ID

Everyone must wear a face covering whenever you leave your home, unless an exception applies. This is enforceable across Victoria from 11:59 pm Sunday 2 August.

You can ask a customer to remove a face covering to ascertain their identity to purchase liquor. The process of removing face coverings for this purpose should be undertaken in line with DHHS advice.

Under Victorian liquor laws, it is an offence to supply liquor to persons under the age of 18 years. Licensees and their staff should ask for ID if a customer looks under 25, as best practice.

For more information, visit DHHS' face masks and coverings and VCGLR's Acceptable forms of identification.

Temporary limited licence

More information

For more information on liquor licences, visit VCGLR.

For advice on how to prepare your outdoor area for dining, refer to Business Victoria's food services guidance.