If a report and consent matter affects your proposal, a building surveyor cannot issue a building permit until you obtain report and consent from Council. This can also result in asset protection permit issues.

To apply, complete and return the relevant listed building application forms to Council's Building department:

  • application for protection of the public over the street alignment
    In accordance with Regulation 116 of the Building Regulations 2018, precautions must be taken before and during building work to protect the safety of the public, if required by the relevant building surveyor.
  • application for siting and projection beyond street alignment
    The Municipal Building Surveyor has delegated authority under the Building Regulations 2018 to make decisions in areas where variations are required on building regulations. These areas include siting variations and projections beyond the street alignment.
  • application for building in areas liable to flooding, or construction on designated land or works
    In accordance with Regulations 153 and 154 of the Building Regulations 2018, buildings constructed on an allotment that are designated flood prone land require consideration of the finished floor level height (AHD), to minimise the risk of flood damage in the future.
  • application for building over easements
    An easement is a section of land registered on your property title that gives another entity, such as Council or a service authority, rights to use and access the land even though they are not the owner. If you intend to build over an easement, you must first obtain consent from any service authorities and then obtain a building permit for the project. This is in accordance with Regulation 130 of the Building Regulations 2018.

After submitting your application, you will receive a tax invoice for payment.

Payment can be made using Online Services or via other payment options detailed on your tax invoice.

Need help?

If you have any questions or uncertainties, please contact the Building team:

Visit Online Services 24/7
Phone: 03 9209 6253
In person: visit the Enquiries Counter at St Kilda Town Hall during opening hours Monday to Friday

Related Content