Construction permits

Find the right construction permits for your project.

What is a construction permit?

You need construction permits when building work starts. This is to reduce the inconvenience to the community and to ensure safety for everyone.

There are many types of construction permits and how many you need will depend on your project.

Asset protection permit

Most building projects in the City of Port Phillip need an asset protection permit. This is to make sure public assets and infrastructure such as roads, footpaths and trees, are not damaged as a result of the work.

Out of hours permit

You need an out of hours permit to do building work outside of standard hours.

Road closure permit

You need a road closure permit to close a road, street or lane.

Road opening permit

You need a road opening permit to make a hole or excavate any part of council land.

Significant tree permit

You need a significant tree permit to prune or remove a tree or palm defined as ‘significant’ under Local Law.

Skip bin permit

Registered skip bin companies must get a skip bin permit to have a rubbish container on the road or Council land.

Street occupation permit

You need a street occupation permit to use a whole or part of a footpath or road for works.

Vehicle crossover permit

A vehicle crossover permit lets you construct a temporary or permanent vehicle crossing.

Working within a road reserve consent

A working within a road reserve consent allows digging in any part of a road reserved managed by Council.

Work zone permit

A work zone permit provides dedicated parking for workers during the building period.

Help and support

If you have any questions or need help, please contact us:

Online: My Port Phillip online services
Phone: 03 9209 6216
In person: visit the Planning & Building Counter at St Kilda Town Hall during opening hours (8:30 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday)

Related Content