Road opening permit

A road opening permit is required for any works within the road or road-related area such as making or reinstating a hole or excavation, under Local Law No.1 (Community Amenity) Clause 14.


  • The works of service authorities:
    • in an emergency or urgent circumstances; or
    • when works are being carried out in accordance with the Road Management Act 2004.
  • The works of contractors undertaking any works within the road or road related area for or on behalf of the City of Port Phillip.

Notification: Council must be advised of the location of exempt works prior to commencement, or, in an emergency or urgent circumstance the next working day following the works beginning.

Application requirements

The applicant is required to:

  • contact Dial Before You Dig before commencing any work, to ensure that no underground services are damaged (phone 1100);
  • provide a copy of current Public Liability Insurance for $20 million;
  • provide a copy of a Memorandum of Consent from the Coordinating Road Authority (if applicable);
  • obtain a Storm Water Legal Point of Discharge (if applicable);
  • provide a relevant Traffic Management Plan showing all safety measures for the management of pedestrian safety, dimensions, and any obstructions (if applicable);
  • provide a relevant site plan/drawing.

Applications take five business days to assess provided no further information or changes are required. Works must not commence without a permit.

Approved Council Standard Drawings

What does the permit cost?

Application fee - $109.40, plus
Permit fee - $120.70, plus
Refundable bond - $1,600

How do I lodge my application?

Apply online: Visit Online Services where you can lodge your request. You will be taken through the following steps to complete your request:

  • Register/Log in - you must register and/or log in to apply for a Development Permit
  • Select the permit type - select the type of permit under Apply for a Development Permit
  • Address search - allows you to select your address to which your permit will be allocated
  • Name - click on the Click to Add Name icon to enter your name and contact details if it is not already showing
  • Enter details - enter relevant information and attach the required documents (see application form)
  • Confirmation - confirm your application details and agree to the terms and conditions of permit use
  • Payment - securely pay by credit card and a receipt number will be issued

Alternatively, you can submit a complete Road Opening Permit Application form (PDF 126KB), all associated documents, and payment of the application fee. For advice phone (03) 9209 6216.

If assessment of the application determines it is appropriate to issue a permit, the permit fee and refundable bond must be paid before the permit will be issued.

Post: Development Permits, City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3, St Kilda VIC 3182
In person: Planning & Building counter, St Kilda Town Hall, cnr Carlisle St and Brighton Rd, St Kilda

card payment fee applies.

Reinstatement of road opening

At the completion of works the applicant must notify Council within 24 hours by completing a Final Inspection of Road Opening (PDF 99 KB).

The excavation must be reinstated to Council requirements. Should any further work be undertaken by Council to bring the temporary reinstatement up to Council's standards, the cost will be deducted from the refundable bond.

Any opening within the City of Port Phillip must be back-filled with crushed rock, compacted and finished cold mix (pre-mix).

When will my bond be refunded?

The bond will be refunded on the completion of reinstatement provided that there has been no damage to Community assets. If applicable, any refund or invoice will be issued within 20 business days of completion.

Should the applicant request that the reinstatement be undertaken by Council, the work will be inspected and final reinstatement undertaken within 20 business days of receipt of the Final Inspection of Road Opening form.

Are any other permits required?

On most occasions during building works, you may need to use Council's surrounding assets to work from or for placement or storage of material or equipment.

If so, you may be required to apply for permit approval. Permits may include: Skip Bin Permit, Street Occupation/Hoarding Permit, Road Closing Permit, Temporary or Permanent Vehicle Crossings, Work Zone Permit, Asset Protection Permit, Out of Hours Permit.

Related Content