- The works of service authorities:
- in an emergency or urgent circumstances; or
- when works are being carried out in accordance with the Road Management Act 2004.
- The works of contractors undertaking any works within the road or road related area for or on behalf of the City of Port Phillip.
Exemption notification: Council must be advised of the location of exempt works prior to commencement, or, in an emergency or urgent circumstance the next working day following the works beginning.
The applicant is required to:
- provide a copy of current Public Liability Insurance for $20 million;
- provide a copy of a Memorandum of Consent from the Coordinating Road Authority, if applicable;
- provide a relevant Traffic Management Plan showing all safety measures for the management of pedestrian safety, dimensions, and any obstructions;
- provide written advice to affected Businesses Residents, and Public Transport Providers at least 48 hours prior to works commencing;
- advise Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance of the closure.
Applications take 5 business days to assess provided no further information or changes are required. Works must not commence without a permit.
What does the permit cost?
Application fee - $109.40 plus
Permit fee - $229.40 (per day) without a Road Opening permit
Permit fee - $137.55 (per day) with a Road Opening permit
Additional costs may be applicable for metered, restricted parking - price on application.
How do I lodge my application?
Apply online: Visit Online Services where you can lodge your request. You will be taken through the following steps to complete your request:
- register/Log in - you must register and/or log in to apply for a Development Permit
- select the permit type - select the type of permit under Apply for a Development Permit
- address search - allows you to select your address to which your permit will be allocated
- name - select the 'Click to Add Name' icon to enter your name and contact details if it is not already showing
- enter details - enter relevant information and attach the required documents (see application form)
- confirmation - confirm your application details and agree to the terms and conditions of permit use
- payment - securely pay by credit card and a receipt number will be issued.
Alternatively, you can submit a complete Road Closure Permit Application (PDF 103 KB), all associated documents, and payment of application fee. For advice phone (03) 9209 6216.
If assessment of the application determines it is appropriate to issue a permit, the permit fee must be paid before the permit will be issued.
Mail: Development Permits, City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3, St Kilda VIC 3182
In person: Planning & Building counter, St Kilda Town Hall, cnr Carlisle St and Brighton Rd, St Kilda
A card payment fee applies.
Are any other permits required?
On most occasions during building works, you may need to use Council’s surrounding assets to work from or for placement or storage of material or equipment.
If so, you may be required to apply for permit approval. Permits may include: Skip Bin Permit, Street Occupation/Hoarding Permit, Road Opening Permit, Temporary or Permanent Vehicle Crossings, Work Zone Permit, Asset Protection Permit, Out of Hours Permit.
For information please refer to Development Permits.