We are currently accepting enrolments for our 2021/22 Environmental Leadership course which will begin on Wednesday 25 August 2021.
The course consists of 10 weekly evening sessions on a Wednesday from 6.30 to 9 pm.
Sessions have been planned for in person delivery at Middle Park Community Centre but will be moved online if further COVID restrictions are necessary.
Participant numbers are strictly limited to 30.
Please note, all applications will be processed on a 'first in best dressed' basis, meaning that as soon as we have the required number of suitable applicants to begin a course, the application process will close.
About the course
This ten week online course supports you to develop and lead your own sustainability action project and will focus on individual growth in a team-based environment.
The course structure:
- Welcome and introduction
- Understanding leadership
- Creating a vision
- Making change happen
- Project management
- Resource management
- Action orientation
- Communication and media
- Pitch night
- Going public
Brett Hedger, Sustainability Officer at the City of Port Phillip will facilitate the course with guest presenters adding specialist knowledge throughout.
The course is provided free of charge and one-on-one coaching will be offered throughout the year in addition to the course.
Participants who complete the course will receive a certificate of completion.
Who can take part
This course is aimed at everyone who wants to become an environmental leader. There are no pre-requisites and no skills required.
The course will be challenging, consisting of 2.5 hours per week in class, around 2-4 hours per week of homework, and further team-based project work which will take place both during and after the completion of the course. Aspiring leaders will be supported throughout the training with easy and regular access to facilitation staff.
In terms of executing a project, don’t worry. You don't have to have a project idea to take part. And it does not matter if you are a seasoned environmental project manager or someone at the beginning of your environmental journey. Your ideas, enthusiasm and openness are what we require. We will be working in project teams and we will walk the path together, so you don’t need to know or be everything.
The project work must be undertaken within the City of Port Phillip. Priority will be given to applications from Port Phillip residents and employees of businesses within Port Phillip. Applicants outside of the City of Port Phillip will need some justification as to why they should take part in this training, together with a clear undertaking to participate in environmental project work within the City of Port Phillip.
The training will be a mixture of in person and online interactions and it is essential that you have access to a computer and an internet connection.
If you’re ready to learn more about yourself, meet other people and take action on climate change, then this is the course for you! Send us an email to tell us you're interested in finding out more at email@example.com
Enrol in the course
Complete the application form below and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Environmental Leaders in the 2020/2021 program included the following projects:
- Recycling and Upcycling Business
- Apartment Eco Blitz
- Sustainability of Self Eco-Resilience
- Not for Profit Burnout Toolkit
- Re-design Recycling
- Elwood Kitchen Library
- Charity Green
- Environment and Social Cause Marketing
- Anarchist Hydration Collective
- Sustainable Apartment Living
- Kerferd Rd Project
- Plastic Gift Card Recycling
- Monash Climate Action
- 25:25:25 Residential Emission Reduction Program
- Empower School Captains
- Bulk Buying Community
- Eco-electronics Design Guide
- Green Currency St Kilda
- Future Oceans
- Sustainable Local Businesses
- Sustainable Residents Group
- Pollinator Observatory
- South Melbourne Market Plastic Reduction
- South Melbourne Market Refill and Recycle station
- Local Responsible Cafes
- Myth Busting Bio Cups
- Rare Native Plant Society
- Local Responsible Cafes
- Emission Reduction Strategy in Workplace
- Music, Art and Sustainability Festival
- Kerferd Road Habitat Restoration
- Community Sustainability Directory
The Environmental Leaders in the 2019/2020 program had the following projects:
- The first council-approved tiny house project in Victoria, if not Australia (featured in The Age)
- Tram stop community garden
- Green farm laboratory producing local organic food
- Carbon neutral kindergarten
- Trash Bags on Tour - offering tours and waste education for corporate, council and tourism sectors
- Detox your home and boat day
- Earth building in the city
- Tool library
- Sustainable apartment precinct
- Annual street closure day
- Environmental video log
- Sustainable library and indigenous book collection
- Children’s environmental activity book
Read more details exciting projects by past leaders:
- Elle’s tiny house project
- Laura’s raw earth homes project
- Kathryn and Marta's 'Trash bags on tour' project
Feedback from the 2020 course
"I can certainly say that the Environmental program changed my life."
"Thank you for running this course, you've given me faith in my idea and faith in councils."
"I just can’t thank you enough for the opportunity to 'rub shoulders' with yourselves and other locals who are equally passionate about Sustainability and our environment. The learnings and the camaraderie far exceeded my expectations."