Applications for the 2019/2020 program are closed. We are accepting expressions of interest for future programs. To register your interest email email@example.com and we will contact you.
Projects underway from this year's Environmental Leaders:
- The first council-approved tiny house project in Victoria, if not Australia (featured in The Age)
- Tram stop community garden
- Green farm laboratory producing local organic food
- Carbon neutral kindergarten
- Trash Bags on Tour - offering tours and waste education for corporate, council and tourism sectors
- Detox your home and boat day
- Earth building in the city
- Tool library
- Sustainable apartment precinct
- Annual street closure day
- Environmental video log
- Sustainable library and indigenous book collection
- Children’s environmental activity book
Read more details about the exciting projects by the current leaders:
- Elle’s tiny house project
- Laura’s raw earth homes project
- Kathryn and Marta's 'Trash bags on tour' project
What did the Leaders say about the 2019-20 program?
“I can certainly say that the Environmental program changed my life.”
“Thank you for running this course, you've given me faith in my idea and faith in councils.”
“I just can’t thank you enough for the opportunity to “rub shoulders” with yourselves and other locals who are equally passionate about Sustainability and our environment. The learnings and the camaraderie far exceeded my expectations.”
About the program
This program supports you to become a leader and deliver your own sustainability project. The program offers training and mentoring needed to support you to improve environmental sustainability, like reducing greenhouse gas emissions or helping others adapt to climate change.
There is a lot of capacity within the community for individuals and groups to drive behaviour change. This program will not only support the delivery of tangible projects but also help develop environmental leadership and help unlock the potential within the community.
I made a dozen new friends, and learnt from some of the best communicators in the climate community, would recommend the program 100% - Mark
Enviro champs was a unique opportunity to be educated , inspired and to build connections. This has enabled me to feel empowered to create change and work on sustainable projects within my local community. Thankyou - Natasha
If you have an idea to make a difference in this world, this program will help you bring it to light. Jump in and give it a go - Tahlia
Previous 'Enviro Champ' course - 2018/2019
In June 2019 a group of individuals within our community, now and forever known as enviro champs graduated.
The program supported the participants to deliver a number of exciting sustainability projects that will benefit our community. It also connected a group of individuals that came together and inspired, supported and challenged one another.
Some of the projects included:
- A podcast series focussing on the work of the River Keepers
- A community beehive and education session
- A suite of sustainable festivals celebrating the unique beauty and wildlife of The Bay
- A community composting program for apartments
- A children’s book highlighting the plight of the endangered Leadbetter Possum
- Establishing a one stop recycling station for childcare centres
- A Jewish Climate Change Group
- A gleaning enterprise to redistribute unwanted farm produce.
It’s an incredible achievement given that the majority of participants had no experience in delivering sustainability projects previously. No doubt we will be hearing more from this group of individuals and their desire to take action to create change will continue to reap rewards.