City of Port Phillip acknowledges the important contribution of carers in our community.
We recognise and want to support you as a carer in our community. We say 'carer' to describe someone who provides care to another person who has a disability, a mental illness, is older or has an ongoing medical condition (including terminal or chronic illness or dementia). This care is typically more than expected in their usual role as a family member, friend or neighbour, and is unpaid.
To learn more about carers, visit Carer Gateway.
Council’s Carer Information Hub aims to provide you with information and resources to support community members in their role of carer. Local carer support groups and other resources below are just some of the services available in Port Phillip. They are not endorsed by or affiliated with Council.
- Accessibility and disability inclusion
- Aged care and disability services
- Community sector resources
- Disability access map - includes the ability to locate features in the City of Port Phillip that are accessible, such as parking bays and public toilets
- Disability support for families and carers
- Pet registration discounts are available for health care card and carer cardholders (subject to eligibility)
- Property rates rebate – If you are a carer with a pensioner concession card you may be eligible to apply for a rebate through the Municipal Rates Concession Scheme
- Social support and recreation
Local carer support groups
Events and opportunities for carers
- Alfred Carers - provides Support for Carers (State-funded) and Carer Gateway (Commonwealth funded) services
- Carer Card – state-wide discounts and benefits with participating businesses
- Carer Gateway – practical advice and resources for carers
- Carers Victoria - the state-wide voice for family carers, representing and providing support to carers in Victoria
- Disibility Liaison Officer service at Alfred Health is available to support with navigating the experience of vaccine and COVID testing. For more information please contact Alfred Health
Phone: 0428 950 038
- Satellite Foundation - for children and young people where a parent has a mental illness or mental health challenge
- Tandem - the state-wide group representing family and friends of people living with mental illness
- Access and Inclusion Plan 2019-21 - Council implements this plan to deliver outcomes for the inclusion of people with disability and their carers