Due to the evolving COVID-19 situation in Victoria, Council will be following the directions from the Victorian and Australian Governments and Health Department.
All eased restrictions and the proposed dates are subject to the advice of Victoria's Chief Health Officer and the continued and effective management of the spread of COVID-19.
Please visit COVID-19 Council events, services and facilities updates for more information and the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) website for the latest advice on Victoria's restriction levels and daily updates on COVID-19.
Busking is the practice of performing in public places. Whether it be with a musical instrument and/or singing, conjuring, juggling, mime, mimicry, dance, puppetry, performance art, recitation and other appropriate theatrical and visual forms.
Please note musical performances must be acoustic.
Allow up to ten working days for the assessment of this application.
How to apply for a permit
- Contact Event Services to check suitability
- Complete an application form and provide the following supporting documentation
- Proof of identity with current address for each performer. For example, driver’s licence.
- Current photo of each performer. Two passport sized photos if a hard copy.
- Persons under 16 years of age must provide written permission from a parent or guardian.
- Applications can be submitted one of three ways
- Email Event Services email@example.com
- By appointment at St Kilda Town Hall. Call 03 9209 6320 to make a booking.
- Mail to Event Services, City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3 St Kilda, VIC 3182
- There is no permit fee in 2020/21
- The permit will be issued via email and DHHS COVID-19 directions must be followed.
Renewing a permit
When your existing busking permit expires you will need to submit a new application and pay the standard permit fee (if applicable) to receive another 12 month permit.
Your permit covers the City of Port Phillip, with any location restrictions outlined further in the guidelines document provided below.
Busking during the St Kilda Festival requires a separate permit. Contact the St Kilda Festival directly.
Busking at the South Melbourne Market requires a separate permit. Contact the South Melbourne Market directly.
Busking at the St Kilda Esplanade Market requires this busking permit and is then conditional upon gaining prior approval from Market Management.
A card payment fee applies. For current fee details, please visit Card Fees.
Contact Event Services
Phone: 03 9209 6320
Post: Event Services, City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3 St Kilda, Victoria, Australia 3182