The histories of South Melbourne, St Kilda, and Port Melbourne, once separate municipalities which were brought together in 1994 to become the City of Port Phillip. These former cities are some of the oldest municipalities in Melbourne. South Melbourne (formerly named Emerald Hill) became a municipality in 1855. St Kilda became a municipality in 1857, and Port Melbourne (formerly named Sandridge) became a municipality in 1860.
Sign up to the mailing list
Join our What's On mailing list for art and heritage programs and events.