Hair, Beauty, Tattoo and Piercing permit

All personal care and body art premises require registration under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

You may need to apply for multiple permits including a Planning permit. To find which permits you need and make a single application, or to talk to our Business Concierge, visit the business permits page.

If you are wanting to open a new hairdresser, beauty therapy, colonic irrigation or skin penetration premises, you should refer to the Health Guidelines for Personal Care and Body Art Industries. These State Government guidelines explain how to operate a hygienic business. You should have a copy of this document on the premises for reference.

What to submit

You will need to:

How to apply

Submit your application to:

Health Services Unit
City of Port Phillip
Private Bag No 3
St Kilda 3182

Assessment process

An Environmental Health Officer will assess the plans and inspect the premises to ensure it is suitable for registration.

Upon final inspection, you will be provided with the Application for Registration of Health Premises form (76 KB DOC).

Complete this form and submit to the above address with the fee to obtain your Public Health and Wellbeing Act registration prior to operating your business. Council will issue a certificate of registration when the application has been approved

Transfer of registration

Contact the Business Concierge for information on how to transfer the registration of a personal care and body art premises.

You may have an premises checked by an Environmental Health Officer prior to purchasing. To arrange an inspection, complete the Application for Transfer Inspection Disclosure form (DOC 67 KB).

Please note, written consent from the existing proprietor of the premises is required prior to an inspection report from an Environmental Health Officer being released to the purchaser.

To transfer the registration, complete the Application for Transfer of Registration form (DOC 86 KB) and return with the relevant fee to:

Health Services Unit
City of Port Phillip
Private Bag No 3
St Kilda 3182

If you are planning to make any structural changes to the premises or change the activities undetaken at the premises, it may require approval from the Health Services Unit.

Depending on the type of business and the changes you are making, you may also require permits from Council's Planning and Building Departments. It is the applicants responsibility to ensure all relevant permits have been sought.