Who to involve

Throughout your works, you will likely be regularly engaging with a number of key professionals and other stakeholders, who can provide guidance, advice and support in order to complete your project. This page lists some of these stakeholders.

Throughout your works, you will likely be regularly engaging with a number of key professionals and other stakeholders, who can provide guidance, advice and support in order to complete your project. The following list indicates some of the stakeholders you may engage.

The City of Port Phillip Council

Our teams of professionals provide assistance and advice for your project, and the applicable regulations and legislation which may apply to it. Please contact Council If you would like to know more about how we can support your project.

Architect and Draftsperson

An Architect and Draftsperson are responsible for preparing plans for building work and documentation relating to permit applications. It's important you engage them early, as they can assist by outlining any limits that may apply to what you are proposing, and provide advice on regulations.

You may also want to raise with them:

  • For extensions to dwellings in a heritage overlay, does your designer know and understand Council’s Heritage Policy and sight-line requirements? This is often the most contentious component of an application.
  • Will your designer produce a high-quality design that will sit comfortably and harmoniously in the streetscape?
  • Has your designer made sure that the design minimises the impact on your neighbours?

Building Surveyor

These trained professionals act as a regulator for your project and are able to issue you with a building permit. Building Surveyors will ensure your proposed project meets regulation guidelines.

When appointing a Building Surveyor, it is your responsibility to chose one that best suits your needs. You may choose a private Building Surveyor or you can engage the Council’s Municipal Building Surveyor. Private Building Surveyors have no connection with the Council.

A Building Surveyor should remain involved for the duration of a building project. However, sometimes a property owner needs to change Building Surveyors before a project has begun or is completed. As the property owner, if you want to change a private surveyor after you appoint them, you will need to obtain consent from the Victorian Building Authority to terminate the appointment before another surveyor can be appointed.

Because of this, we recommend doing your homework to ensure you have appointed a surveyor that matches your requirements and budget.


Builders are experienced and educated in building construction. They can help you complete your construction work and engage Council for appropriate construction permits.

If you choose to be an Owner Builder, you will be responsible for obtaining building permits, supervising or undertaking the building work, and ensuring the work meets building regulations and standards. You may also be required to obtain a Certificate of Consent from the VBA to become an Owner Builder. This can be a complex undertaking.

Neighbours and the community

Most building projects will have an impact on the neighbours and surrounding community. These stakeholders will be invited to provide feedback on the project when applying for a Planning Permit and may be heavily impacted during construction work.

It is important to engage your neighbours early in the project to help reduce the impact on them and reduce the likelihood of issues or disputes arising during the process. For more details, see the Living with Construction guide.

Other useful contacts

In addition to the industry professionals and Council staff who can provide support, there are a number of resources which can provide additional information.

Dial Before You Dig

Dial Before You Dig is a free national referral service designed to assist in preventing damage and disruption to Australia’s vast infrastructure networks which provide essential services.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) provides useful information on planning and managing your building and renovating project, building defects, delays and insolvency. They also provide helpful checklists and definitions.

Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV) is a free dispute resolution service funded by the Victorian Government.

Energy Safe Victoria

Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) is a technical and safety regulator responsible for the safe generation, supply and use of electricity, gas and pipelines.

Metropolitan Fire Brigade

The Metropolitan Fire Brigade delivers fire and emergency management services, and develops prevention programs that improve community safety and build resilience.

Parking permits

Visit parking permits to find out the types of permits available, whether you are eligible and if a parking assessment is required during the statutory planning approval process.

Planning Ahead map

The Planning Ahead interactive map provides detailed property and planning information, including property area, planning zone, planning overlay and planning report.

Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria

For free services to help resolve residential building disputes, without the cost and time associated with courts and tribunals, visit Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria.

Victorian Building Authority

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) regulates building and plumbing practitioners, and provides helpful guides and information spanning all areas of the building and renovating process.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) is a tribunal that hears and decides civil and administrative legal cases in Victoria, which may be relevant if you or any member of the public wishes to appeal a Council decision relating to your works.

Worksafe Victoria

Worksafe Victoria provides OHS and workers' compensation, delivering high-quality care and treatment when workers are injured.

Related Content