This process can provide several benefits to both the applicant/owner and Council, including:
- general feedback from a Council planner
- identification of the key planning considerations
- potentially reducing requests for changes and further information following lodgement.
The advice can often be given by phone or email, particularly if you provide plans and information electronically.
If a meeting is considered necessary to discuss more complex issues, at the discretion of the Urban Planner, other relevant Council officers, such as the Sustainable Design Officer, may be invited to attend.
Preparing your pre-application
To ensure you get the most comprehensive pre-application advice possible, you should first:
- find out the zone and overlays affecting your property
- consider looking at the Port Phillip Planning Scheme including planning policies that may affect your application
- if necessary, make notes to ask questions about interpretation and application of these policies
- obtain a copy of the Certificate of Title for the land.
- if you are proposing a multi-unit development, or constructing or extending a dwelling on a lot less than 500sqm, you will require a:
- detailed neighbourhood and site description that will guide your design
- design response to lodge with your application.
- considerations for Sustainable Urban Design.
- prepare preliminary designs and sketches that show how:
- your proposal respects the site and the surrounding area
- the design considers the site constraints.
Consider the owners or occupiers of neighbouring properties before you lodge an application. Where possible, addressing the concerns of neighbours early in the process can minimise delays later, as well as the costs of making changes to your plans.
Without this information, the Urban Planner’s advice may be limited.
Lodging a pre-application request
If you require a formal pre-application discussion, please submit a Pre-Application Advice Request form (PDF 225 KB) and include the following:
- description of the proposal
- site plan
- concept drawings, and
- photos of the site.
Incomplete applications without the required attachments will not be accepted.
You will be contacted approximately five to 10 working days after submitting the request.
Pre-application advice is free of charge.
If you have any queries, need assistance or would like to lodge an application form, please contact us::
In person: visit the Planning and Building Counter at St Kilda Town Hall between 8.30 am and 5 pm Monday to Friday
Post: Planning Business Support, City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3, St Kilda VIC 3182