Do I need a pre-application meeting?
A pre-application meeting with the Council helps you:
- get advice and feedback from a Council planner
- point out important planning issues to consider
- make sure your application has the correct information.
If you have plans and information in digital format, you can have the meeting by phone or email.
If there are any complicated issues with your proposal, other Council officers might need to attend.
What do I need to prepare for it?
To make sure you get the best advice from the Council Planner, you should:
- Find out the zone and overlays affecting your property
- Look at the Port Phillip Planning Scheme and planning policies.
- Get a copy of the Certificate of Title for the land
- Put together design ideas and sketches showing:
- your proposal considers the location and neighbourhood
- the design considers the restrictions of the location
- To build a multi-unit development, building or extending a house on land that is less than 500sqm, you’ll need:
- detailed neighbourhood and site description for your design
- a design response
- how you have thought about Sustainable Urban Design
Think about the people who live and own the nearby houses before you apply. Knowing any issues your neighbours have early on will reduce the costs and delays to your plans.
Pre-application meetings are free for any application for a single dwelling on one lot, including alterations and additions.
Pre-application meetings for any other development will incur a pre-application fee of $300.
Note: We can't refund your pre-application advice fee once you've submitted your planning application.
A credit card fee applies.
How to request a meeting
To request a pre-application meeting online:
- Register or log in to My Port Phillip
- Select 'Apply for a permit'
- Select permit type 'Planning'
- Select ‘Request a pre-application meeting’ from the list
- Add the address
- Fill in details about your request
- Review and click 'Lodge' to submit
- Accept the Terms and Conditions
- Pay the fee if required. A credit card fee applies.
Alternatively, please submit a Pre-Application Advice Request form (PDF 225 KB) and include the following:
- description of the proposal
- site plan
- concept drawings
- photos of the site.
You will receive an invoice to pay any applicable fee once the request has been submitted. Then you will be contacted by a planner approximately five to 10 working days after submitting the request.
Note: Incomplete applications without the required attachments will not be accepted.
If you have any queries, need assistance or would like to lodge an application form, please contact us:
Online: Visit My Port Phillip
Phone: 03 9209 6424
In person: visit the Planning and Building Counter at St Kilda Town Hall during opening hours (8.30 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday)
Post: Planning Business Support, City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3, St Kilda VIC 3182