When proposing to undertake new building or drainage work, stormwater from the building is required to discharge into a Council nominated Legal Point of Discharge such as a drain, kerb or channel. Properties must have stormwater drainage systems that effectively collect and remove the stormwater runoff into a council drain.

Stormwater systems should also be outlined in your sustainable design plans.

How to apply

The easiest way to request a drainage legal point of discharge is to apply online.

Please note: your application request will not be processed until the applicable fee has been paid and the following documentation is supplied:

  • A copy of a site plan layout showing both the location of the existing buildings and proposals, such as new buildings and additions.
  • Payment of the application fee.

A Road Opening Permit may also be required.

Incomplete applications without the required attachments will not be accepted.

A card payment fee applies.

Service or fix a pit or drain

Council's Infrastructure Maintenance unit is responsible for the management of the City's stormwater drains and pits. Please contact us through Online Services.

For information on how Council is keeping our stormwater clean, visit clean streets and waterways.

Need help?

If you have any questions or uncertainties, please contact the Building team:

Email: helpbuilding@portphillip.vic.gov.au
Phone: 03 9209 6253
In person: visit the Enquiries Counter at St Kilda Town Hall during opening hours Monday to Friday

Related Content