We are currently not offering face-to-face counter enquires at St Kilda Town Hall but you can still contact us online and via phone.
For pubic notices advertising, we will continue to conduct Public Notification advertising board collections and returns on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays by appointment only, between 9 and 11 am. To arrange collection of advertising boards, please contact planning support on 03 9209 6424
The building permit ensures that:
- certain practitioners are registered and carry insurance
- adequate documentation is prepared to correctly construct the building
- an independent review of the documentation occurs
- key stages of the work are independently inspected
- the building is independently assessed as completed and/or suitable for occupation.
The Building Act 1993 and Building Regulations 2018 legislates that buildings must be subject to the issue of a building permit prior to work commencing. The Act prescribes a penalty in excess of $50,000 for any persons who do work without a permit, and $300,000 to any company.
When do you need a permit
A building permit is generally required for all building works and changes to the use of an existing building. This includes:
- garages, sheds and carports
- verandas and pergolas
- retaining walls
- rooming and boarding houses
- granny flats
- guest houses
- student accommodation
- alterations to any Essential Safety Measures or Fire Safety Measures
- swimming pools and spas, and the surrounding safety barriers.
When is a permit not required
There are many exemptions for building work and buildings. These are detailed in Schedule 3 of the Building Regulations 2018 which describes situations where a building permit is not required.
If you believe a building permit is not required for your works, you should seek advice from Council prior to commencing any works. Works that do not require a building permit may require other approvals from Council, such as town planning, health, community amenity, and development permits. All relevant departments should be contacted prior to commencement of works.
If you have any questions or uncertainties, please contact the Building team: