Out of hours permit

An out of hours permit must be obtained to carry out works during any period outside standard hours, under Local Law No. 1 (Community Amenity) Clause 31.

Council's Local Law allows building works to be carried out on a building site during the following hours:

  • 7 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday
  • 9 am to 3 pm Saturday

A builder must not carry out building works on a building site on a public holiday as defined by the Public Holidays Act 1993.

An Out of Hours Permit must be obtained to carry out works during any period outside of these hours.

Important information

  • Allow five clear business days to assess your completed application.
  • A permit cannot be issued to perform building works on a public holiday.
  • If a permit is granted, the permit holder must provide a minimum of 2 business days notification to the occupants of adjoining residents and businesses.
  • Be mindful of the impact of your works on nearby neighbours and communicate your works to them at the earliest opportunity.
  • Considerations for granting a permit include the reasons for needing to perofrm the works, the time of day or night, the length of time and intensity of the noise levels that will be emitted by the works.
  • Only the works specified on the permit can be undertaken.
  • Failure to obtain a permit or comply with the permit conditions may result in an infringement.
  • The permit does not override the requirements of the Environment Protection Act regulations and penalties, which continue to apply. Noise outside the requirements of the Environment Protection Act Schedule is not authorised under this permit.

What does the permit cost?

$109.40 application fee, plus $399.00 permit fee (per day).

How do I lodge my application?

Apply online: Visit Online Services where you can lodge your request. You will be taken through the following steps to complete your request:

  • register or log in - you must register and log in to apply for a Development Permit
  • select the permit type - select the type of permit under Apply for a Development Permit
  • address search - allows you to select your address to which your permit will be allocated
  • name - select the 'Click to Add Name' icon to enter your name and contact details if it is not already showing
  • enter details - enter relevant information and attach the required documents (see application form)
  • confirmation - confirm your application details and agree to the terms and conditions of permit use
  • payment - securely pay by credit card and a receipt number will be issued

Alternatively, you can submit your application using a Working outside construction hours application (PDF 217 KB).

Email: devpermits@portphillip.vic.gov.au
Mail: Development Permits, City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3, St Kilda VIC 3182
In person: Planning and Building counter, St Kilda Town Hall, cnr Carlisle St and Brighton Rd, St Kilda

card payment fee applies.

Are any other permits required?

On most occasions during building works, you may need to use Council’s surrounding assets to work from or for placement or storage of material or equipment.

If so, you may be required to apply for permit approval. Permits may include: Skip Bin Permit, Street Occupation/Hoarding Permit, Road Opening Permit, Temporary or Permanent Vehicle Crossings, Work Zone Permit, Road Closure permit, Asset Protection Permit.

Related Content