Apply for a Certificate

The Certificates of Compliance you can apply for are either:

  • Existing Use or Development form 14:
    a certificate stating that an existing use or development of land complies with the requirements of the planning scheme at the date of the certificate.
  • Proposed Use or Development form 15:
    a certificate stating that a proposed use or development of land, or part of, would comply with the requirements of the planning scheme at the date of the certificate.

Follow these steps to apply online:

  1. Register or log in using registration details
  2. Apply for a permit
  3. Select permit type
  4. Address
  5. Lodge
  6. Confirmation - Accept terms and conditions of use
  7. Summary - Attach any required documents
  8. Payment - Securely pay by credit card

Alternatively, you can submit a Certificate of Compliance form (PDF 53 KB) along with all required documents via email, post or in person. If your application is approved, the fee (if applicable) must be paid before the permit can be issued.

If you have any questions about lodging a Certificate of Compliance, please contact us:

Online: Visit Online Services
Phone: 03 9209 6424
In person: visit the Planning and Building Counter at St Kilda Town Hall during opening hours Monday to Friday

Planning compliance infringements

If you have received a Planning Infringement Notice, it means an authorised Council officer has reason to believe that you have committed an alleged breach against the provisions of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.

The breach may be in relation to, but not limited to:

  • the use or development of land
  • contravention of, or failing to comply with, a planning scheme, planning permit or agreement under section the Act.

A Planning Infringement Notice will specify the penalty fine, and may also require actions to be taken to amend the offence. The Notice will detail the time the actions must be taken and when the penalty must be paid. Failure to pay the infringement penalty, or carry out the required actions, by the due dates specified may result in further legal action being taken and additional costs owed.

What to do

If you have received a Planning Infringement Notice, you have the following options:

Make the payment

You can pay the full amount of the fine online by the due date.

Payment plan or extension of time

To pay the fine under a payment plan or arrangement, email the Planning Compliance team.

Request an internal review

To request an internal review by Council, please complete the application for a Planning Compliance internal review form (PDF 163 KB) and send it to the Planning Compliance team.

You or a person acting on your behalf may make the submission. You can only make one request for an internal review as per the Infringements Act 2006, and you must select what ground you are appealing under. Please refer to the application form for further details.

If you have received a parking infringement that want to contest, refer to parking infringements.

Proceed to court

You can elect to have the matter heard and determined in a court at any time before an enforcement order is made. If the person fined is a child, the matter will be heard in the children’s court. If you choose to have you matter determined in court, you must immediately notify the Planning Compliance team.

Contact the Planning Compliance team

To make a request, find more information or ask a question about compliance infringements, please contact the Planning Compliance team via Online Services.

Related Content