Advertising is required when a planning application has the potential to cause material detriment to any person.

You can view advertised plans and documents for planning applications on Council's Planning Permit Advertising Register.

Once the advertising and referral processes are complete, the Council Planning Officer will finalise assessment of the plan.

How are notices sent

Potentially affected people are entitled to consider a proposal and its impact on them, and to submit objections or submissions for consideration by Statutory Planning Officers and Council.

Public Notice can take the form of some or all the following methods:

  • mail-out to relevant nearby properties
  • on-site notice
  • newspaper publication.

Please note, if advertising is required, an additional fee will apply to cover the advertising costs, which will vary depending on the extent of advertising.

Who is responsible for advertising

Council is responsible for the giving of notice to neighbouring properties and interested parties who may be affected by the proposal.

The applicant or owner is responsible for erecting the on-site notice, if required, for the advertising period. Once this period expires a Statutory Declaration needs to be completed and returned to Council with the on-site notice boards.

The applicant or owner is also responsible for newspaper publication at Council's instruction.

How long does it take

The advertising period is a minimum of 18 days. Council allows 18 days to account for Australia post delivery times. A Council decision cannot be made on a planning application until this period expires.

Objections or submissions for consideration should be lodged within the notice period. Objections will still be considered until the time a decision is made.

Need help?

If you have any queries about or need assistance with viewing an application, please contact us:

Visit Online Services

Phone: 03 9209 6424

In person: visit the Planning and Building Counter at St Kilda Town Hall between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday

Post: Statutory Planning, City of Port Phillip, Private Bag 3, St Kilda VIC 3182

Related Content