Road closure permit

A permit is required to wither partially or wholly occupy a road under Community Amenity Local Law No. 1, Clause 14


  • The works of service authorities:
    • in an emergency or urgent circumstances
    • when works are being carried out in accordance with the Road Management Act 2004.
  • The works of contractors undertaking any works within the road or road related area for or on behalf of the City of Port Phillip.

Exemption notification: Council must be advised of the location of exempt works prior to commencement, or, in an emergency or urgent circumstance the next working day following the works beginning.

Application requirements

The applicant is required to:

  • provide a copy of current Public Liability Insurance for $20 million
  • provide a copy of a Memorandum of Consent from the Coordinating Road Authority, if applicable
  • provide a relevant Traffic Management Plan showing all safety measures for the management of pedestrian safety, dimensions, and any obstructions
  • provide written advice to affected Businesses Residents, and Public Transport Providers at least 48 hours prior to works commencing
  • advise Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance of the closure.

Applications take 5 business days to assess provided no further information or changes are required. Works must not commence without a permit.

What does the permit cost

Application fee - $114.00 plus
Permit fee - $238.00 (per day) without a Road Opening permit
Permit fee - $142.00 (per day) with a Road Opening permit
Additional costs may be applicable for metered, restricted parking - price on application.

How do I lodge my application

Follow these steps to apply online:

  1. Register or log in using registration details
  2. Apply for a permit
  3. Select permit type
  4. Address
  5. Lodge
  6. Confirmation - Accept terms and conditions of use
  7. Summary - Attach any required documents
  8. Payment - Securely pay by credit card

Alternatively, you can submit a Road Closure Permit Application (PDF 103 KB) form along with all required documents via email, post or in person. If your application is approved, the fee (if applicable) must be paid before the permit can be issued.

For advice phone 03 9209 6216.

card payment fee applies.

Are any other permits required

On most occasions during building works, you may need to use Council’s surrounding assets to work from or for placement or storage of material or equipment.

If so, you may be required to apply for permit approval. Permits may include:

  • Skip Bin Permit
  • Street Occupation or Hoarding Permit
  • Road Opening Permit
  • Temporary or Permanent Vehicle Crossings
  • Work Zone Permit
  • Asset Protection Permit
  • Out of Hours Permit.

For information please refer to Construction Permits.

Related Content