Social housing-community and public housing

Social Housing-Community and Public Housing

Social housing comprises community housing and public housing that houses very low and low income households.

Community housing is affordable housing that is provided, owned and/or managed by registered community housing organisations, and there are also non-registered organisations providing community housing. This includes churches, charitable organisations, community housing management organisations and community housing developers /providers.

Public housing is affordable housing that is provided, owned and/or managed by the Victorian Government’s Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

There is a significant proportion of social housing in Port Phillip.  In 2018 there were 4,205 social housing units, comprising 6.9% of total dwellings. 58% of this social housing was public housing, 33% was community housing, and the rest was crisis and transitional housing.

Social housing can also include supported housing for high needs persons, such as the Common Ground or Youth Foyer models.  Currently there is no Common Ground or Youth Foyer housing in Port Phillip.

Social housing is allocated through the Victorian Housing Register. For information about applying to the Victorian Housing Register see- visit

For information about other housing options, see Housing and Homelessness Support Services

The City of Port Phillip facilitates the provision of social housing in Port Phillip for the DHHS and locally based and externally based community housing organisations. This can be through:

  • facilitating and supporting development of community housing projects
  • facilitating and supporting joint ventures between the DHHS and community housing organisations
  • negotiation with private developers to provide affordable and community housing
  • undertaking research into housing need, and social housing car parking demand
  • identifying property suitable for community housing, and opportunities for public housing estate redevelopment
  • assistance during the planning permit application process
  • support for funding applications with the DHHS. 

 Contact us or use eServices to ask us a question, request information or give us feedback online. If you prefer phone ASSIST on (03) 9209 6777 and ask for Housing and Homelessness Services.


Related Content