Area: 2 km2
2016 population: 15,977
2011 population: 15,024
Average annual growth rate (2011 - 2016): 6.2%
(Source: ABS National Census.2011 and 2016)
Geography of the area
East St Kilda extends from Chapel Street, St Kilda, to Caulfield, and is 6 km south-east of Melbourne. Along its northern edge runs the Dandenong Road tram (1928) and another east-west tram (1913) runs along Balaclava Road to Caulfield. Near its eastern edge the railway runs from Windsor to Sandringham.
East St Kilda is one of the more diverse neighbourhoods of the City of Port Phillip. The housing stock includes larger houses and cottages from the Victorian and Edwardian eras, with a significant stock of flats and apartments from the 1960s and 1970s. The neighbourhood is of the most densely settled in the City of Port Phillip.
The neighbourhood is well served by the Balaclava shopping area in Carlisle Street and Balaclava station on the Sandringham rail line.
Balaclava, part of the neighbourhood of East St Kilda, is 7km south-east of Melbourne. It was named after the battlefield in the Crimean War (1853-6) and has related street names such as Nightingale, Inkerman, Raglan and Sebastopol.
Balaclava is well served by public transport, having trams in Chapel Street (1886) and Carlisle Street (1913) and a train line from Melbourne to Brighton (1859). There is also a busy tram route nearby in St Kilda and Brighton Roads, running past the St Kilda town hall (1890), now the council offices of the City of Port Phillip. The town hall is an impressive building in a garden setting, with a white portico added in 1925. The council library (1973) is in Carlisle Street.
The shopping centre along Carlisle Street, Balaclava, is an active strip, being served with trams, trains and off-street parking.
East St Kilda is quite a different neighbourhood from the spectacle of its adjacent neighbourhood, St Kilda. East St Kilda has only one large parkland, Alma Park, through which the railway runs. There is also a cemetery, the resting place of Alfred Deakin and Albert Jacka, VC, MC and Bar, and mayor of St Kilda (1930).
There is no government school in East St Kilda, but there are two Jewish campuses and a Catholic school to the east.