We have two adventure playgrounds in St Kilda and South Melbourne. They are much-loved parks with limited opening hours where children can use their imagination, run, climb, jump, create and play.
During opening hours, Council staff members run programs on-site for members. Membership is available for local children aged 5 to 12 years old.
We welcome visiting families from all over. You do not need to be a member to visit the playgrounds. Children should always be supervised by a parent or guardian.
There are no BBQ facilities at either site and both playgrounds have limited seating. We are unable to take bookings for birthday parties.
Each playground has different opening hours and are subject to change. Hours generated on search engines such as Google or listed in blogs or articles are not always accurate.
- Mondays: Closed
- Tuesday to Friday: 3.30 to 5.30 pm
- Weekends & School Holidays: 12 midday to 4.30 pm
Skinners, South Melbourne
- Monday to Friday: 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm
- Weekends & School Holidays: 12 midday to 4.30
Both playgrounds are closed on Public Holidays
The playgrounds may be closed:
- when the temperature exceeds 35°C,
- when the forecast temperature is 38°C or above
- if the temperature reaches 35°C while the playgrounds are open
- during hail, heavy rain, strong winds and thunderstorms
- due to poor air quality due to smoke from bush fires or pollution
- for maintenance, safety audits, staff training and targeted activities
Conditions of entry
The City of Port Phillip outlines the below conditions of entry:
- The Playgrounds are a child-friendly zone.
- Adults are only permitted in the Playgrounds when accompanying a child or children.
- No alcohol, smoking, drugs or anti-social behaviour permitted in or around the playgrounds.
- Do not bring dogs or pets into the grounds (service animals only).
- Respect privacy by only taking photos of you and your family or group in the playgrounds.
- The Playgrounds are a 'Junk Food Free Zone' to promote healthy lifestyles. All sweet, fatty, fast food or drink should be consumed before entering.
- Care for the environment by using the correct bins and not dropping rubbish on the ground.
- The Adventure Playgrounds are a complete nut free zone. We recommend members and visitors with any form of special or restricted dietary requirement bring all their own food, snacks and meals
- Visitors are always responsible for any personal items while visiting the Playgrounds.
- Staff reserve the right to use designated sitting areas for scheduled programs. Visitors must keep these sitting areas (undercover areas) free when staff need to set up for programs.
Please note - at times the Adventure Playgrounds may be closed due to programming or maintenance. We recommend calling the playground to check program times or session availability to avoid disappointment. Call 0466 478 430 during business hours.
About our programs and membership
Staff in our Middle Years and Youth Services team host programs and activities for local children aged 5 to 12 years old who are enrolled members. Programs and activities focus on youth development, community engagement and leadership. Some programs are based at the playgrounds, and some are offered at other locations.
Some of our adventure playground member activities include:
- arts and crafts
- club nights (community dinners, with most meals made from rescued supermarket food from food aid agencies)
Membership intake may be limited at this time.
We recognise that the Adventure Playgrounds are much loved, respected, and valued community resources.
Short term improvements: We have removed some aged and damaged play equipment from Skinners, South Melbourne so the space can be used and enjoyed again.
Longer term improvements: We have allocated 3.445 million in our 10-year financial plan to upgrade both playgrounds.
The upgrades will be informed by the following design principles so the Adventure Playgrounds will:
- Facilitate risky (but safe) play
- Be accessible, safe and welcoming for all: meeting DDA compliance and CEPTED best practice
- Provide a connection to nature and the natural environment
- Place children and young people at the heart of design
- Provide a unique aesthetic that recognises the past and is delivered for the future
To find other playgrounds in your area, visit find parks and playgrounds.