Rates concessions and hardship relief

Find out about rates concessions, pensioner rebates and how to get support if you’re experiencing hardship or difficulties.

We know our rate payers lives and circumstances change. Any of us can sometimes face financial challenges.

Council offers a range of rates concessions, pensioner rebates and support for businesses and residential ratepayers experiencing hardship. Please read our Financial Hardship Policy (PDF 403 KB) for information on our approach to providing support for ratepayers experiencing financial difficulty. There are no additional costs to access any of these services.

We recognise the financial impact that COVID-19 is having on many ratepayers and businesses. In response we've increased our pensioner rebate, extended interest free periods, and increased the maximum rates waiver for 2021/22.

To get started, please complete the Rates Hardship Assistance application form.

You can also discuss your options with the Rates team on 03 9209 6777.

We provide several options to support pensioners and those ratepayers experiencing financial hardship to help them meet their financial obligations. Below is a summary of each.

Pensioner rebates

Payment plans and deferrals


Financial counselling

Other concessions

Get in touch, we’re here to help.

If you are having trouble paying your rates and want to learn more about our options for customers in financial hardship, let us know. If you have a business in Port Phillip, you should also check out the COVID-19 business resources page for information on support programs.

Our team will deal with your enquiry sensitively and confidentially.

Let us know your situation, and we will work together towards a solution.

Related Content