To pay your rates you will need:
- Biller code for Port Phillip: 356899
- Reference number: the 15-digit account number on your rates notice
You can pay your rates by:
- BPAY - in your online banking account or over the phone. This is the cheapest option with no merchant surcharge on card payments.
- direct debit - 9 monthly deductions from your bank account
- pay online with a credit card using our secure gateway
- Phone (BPoint) - 1300 276 468 using Visa, MasterCard and AMEX
- in person at Australia Post or our Town Hall service centre.
If you pay with your credit card you will be charged a card payment fee except via BPAY.
Due dates for 2022/23
You can pay your rates as one lump sum, or in quarterly instalments.
If you decide to pay as a lump sum, it is due by 15 February 2023.
To pay in 4 instalments, the due dates are:
- 1st instalment – 30 September 2022
- 2nd instalment – 30 November 2022
- 3rd instalment – 28 February 2023
- 4th instalment – 31 May 20223
These dates are also on your rates notice.
Late payments – interest charges
If you don’t pay your rates and charges by the due date, you will be charged 10 per cent interest.
Interest is charged according to how you pay your rates. If you don’t pay the lump sum by 15 February 2023, interest charges will be back dated to 1 October 2022. If you are paying in instalments, interest will be charged from the instalment due date until the date you pay.
Set up direct debit payments for your rates
Set up a direct debit to pay your rates automatically. Apply before 13 October by completing the Direct Debit application form (PDF 158 KB).
Not online? Ask for a paper form with a reply paid envelope. Phone us on 03 9209 6777
How it works
Nine payments are deducted from your account from 15 October to 15 June (or the closest business day).
To apply you must:
- send in your direct debit application before the due date
- pay any rates owed before applying
- ensure the person authorising to debit the account is the same name on the account.
We will let you know when it has been set up.
Make sure you have enough funds in your account to cover the payment. You may be charged fees it if can’t go through.
Cancel or change your direct debit
A direct debit agreement is a continuous agreement. To cancel it you need to tell us in writing at least 7 days before the next debit date.
Change your bank details
To change your bank account for your direct debit, send us Direct Debit application form with the new details.
We will let you know when the bank details have been updated.
Your rates notice explained
Understand how your property rates are calculated and what is listed on your notice. Ask to have your notices emailed or get a copy of an old notice. Visit Your rates notice.
Contact the rates team
To talk to us about your rates send a direct message, or phone us on 03 9209 6777 during business hours Monday to Friday.