Multiple animal permits

The number of animals you can keep within a residential area is limited. If you would like to own more than the limit, you'll need to apply for a multiple animal permit.

The City of Port Phillip Local Law No. 1 Clause 23 specifies how many animals can live on a property without a permit. The number is different for different types of dwelling. You must have a multiple animal permit if you have more animals than the numbers specified below.

Applying for a multiple animal permit

All dogs and cats listed on the application must be registered prior to submitting an application.


There is a $70 administrative fee when you submit your application. Paying the fee does not guarantee permit approval. The application fee will not be refunded if the permit is refused.

The permit application will not be reviewed unless the permit application fee is paid.

Follow these steps to apply online:

  1. Register or log in using registration details
  2. Apply for a permit
  3. Select permit type
  4. Address
  5. Lodge
  6. Confirmation - Accept terms and conditions of use
  7. Summary - Attach any required documents
  8. Payment - Securely pay by credit card

A card payment fee applies.

Animal Management
Private Bag No 3 PO
St Kilda Victoria 3182

Animal limits and dwelling types

Type of animalHouses - limitsUnits, townhouses and flats - limits
Dogs over six months old21
Dogs under six months old41
Cats over three months old21
Cats under three months old41


  • You may keep hens. Roosters must not be kept or harboured due to the noise nuisance.
  • Poultry or animal housing or a similar structure must be located on the property so that the amenity of the area or other premises is not affected by nuisance, noise or odour experienced because of proximity of the poultry or animal housing.
  • An owner or occupier must not construct or use any poultry or animal housing on any property unless it has adequate roofing, drainage, is rodent proof and has a floor paved with impervious material.
  • All poultry and animal housing must be maintained so that it does not cause a nuisance or offensive conditions or harbour vermin.

Local Law information

Related Content