Report or reclaim an abandoned vehicle

Find out how to report a vehicle that hasn’t been moved, what we do to warn the owner it will be towed and how you can reclaim it.

    If you have noticed a vehicle that hasn’t moved off a local street for a long time, we can help. You need to tell us the vehicle registration and location.

    We will investigate. We can move unregistered and abandoned vehicles left:

    • on local streets
    • in council car parks
    • on public land.

    Report an abandoned vehicle

    You can report an abandoned car by:

    Check if the vehicle is registered

    You need to tell us if the vehicle is registered. Note the vehicle registration number and check on the relevant state website: 

    Found a notice on your vehicle

    We put a notice on vehicles that are unregistered or we think are abandoned. The notice tells the owner they must register the vehicle or move it from Council land by a certain date. If you don’t contact us or move the vehicle, we will tow it away. 

    If you find a notice on your vehicle, please phone us on 03 9209 6777 or email as soon as possible to talk about your vehicle. 

    Reclaim your impounded vehicle 

    If you believe Council has impounded your vehicle, please contact us to discuss how you can reclaim the vehicle. Vehicles will not be released to the owner unless authorised by Council.

    Vehicles will be towed and stored in accordance with Council Contract 000996awarded to Nationwide Towing Pty Ltd.  The fee to have your vehicle released from impound is $635.00.  There will be additional storage fees charged of $28 per day.

    The storage facility is located at 1/221 Browns Road, Noble Park (roller door 3).

    To reclaim your vehicle please contact Nationwide Noble park to make an appointment via phone (03) 8872 9674 or email

    Please ensure you have the following items in order to collect: 

    Vehicles that have not been claimed

    Vehicles that have not been claimed within 14 days will be sold at public auction.