What is it?

If you have a mobile or temporary food business, such as a food van, which is garaged in the City of Port Phillip, you need to register it to operate.

You can register your business with City of Port Phillip using the website FoodTrader. This is a state-wide registration site for temporary and mobile food businesses.

Through FoodTrader you can:

  • apply for registration with City of Port Phillip
  • manage your renewal of registration each year
  • list when and where you will trade (called a Statement of trade or ‘SOT’).

Who’s it for?

FoodTrader is for businesses, individuals or community groups selling food or drinks from a mobile food van or temporary food premises.


Type of feeCost
Application fee$268
Registration/ notification fee

Varies from $0 to $950 per calendar year.

Class 4 notifications do not attract a registration fee.

Before you apply

Information and factsheets on running a mobile food business or a temporary food stall can be found on the FoodTrader website.

We recommend you submit a plan for your proposed mobile food vehicle prior to construction. This will ensure that it complies with the National Food Safety Standards.

It must show the:

  • the equipment you'll use
  • equipment location.

Equipment you may includes things like:

  • handwashing facilities
  • cooking equipment
  • sinks
  • storage areas.

When you apply

A mobile food vehicle must be inspected by an Environmental Health Officer before registration is granted.

You’ll need to submit your application through FoodTrader and an Environmental Health Officer will contact you.

An application fee of $268applies and registration/ notification fees vary from $0 to $950 per calendar year.

After you apply

If your application is approved, the City of Port Phillip will issue a certificate of registration for your business.

You’ll be able to download this certificate through FoodTrader. FoodTrader has information on how to do this on their website.

Permission to operate

If you want to sell food from Council land in the City of Port Phillip, you must apply for permission.

Once your Mobile or Temporary Food Business is registered, you’ll also need to apply for permission to operate your business in City of Port Phillip.

You can apply for permission by completing the Application for Mobile Food Vehicle (PDF 454 KB) or online in My Port Phillip.

Permanent foreshore trading

There are a limited number of permanent foreshore trading sites offered for fixed-term licences.

Any sites that become available will be offered to the market by a Public Expressions of Interest process, and advertised on the City of Port Phillip Tenderlink site.

Or, you can contact the Property team on 03 9209 6777, or email property@portphillip.vic.gov.au

Learn more about mobile and temporary food businesses

Contact us

Health Services Unit
Online: My Port Phillip
Email: healthservicesunit@portphillip.vic.gov.au
Phone: 03 9209 6292