What is it?

Beauty, hair and body art business need to be registered to operate. You must register your business with Council if you provided these services:

  • beauty therapy
  • application of make up
  • colonic irrigation
  • hairdressing
  • barbering
  • skin penetration (piercing)
  • tattooing.

Will I need more than one?

How many registrations and permits you need depends on your business.

It is not uncommon to apply for more than one permit when making changes to your business.

If you think you might need more than one permit, go to our Business Permit Finder to determine the permits you need. This will save you time and hassle.

Starting a new business

If you’re starting a new beauty, hair and body art business, we suggest talking to Council before you choose a site.

We can help you make sense of health rules and regulations and guide you through the permits and approvals process.

Contact the Health Services Unit

Buying or growing a business

If you take over a business and stay in the same premises, you need to transfer the registration to your premises before you can start trading.

Follow these steps on how to transfer

Who is it suitable for?

You need to register your business (premises) with Council if you’ll be doing:

Low risk activities:

  • Hairdressing/ barbering
  • Applying cosmetics that do not involve skin penetration or tattooing.

Higher risk activities:

  • Spray tan
  • Manicure
  • Facials
  • Waxing
  • Threading
  • IPL/Laser
  • Microdermabrasion
  • Eyelash extension
  • Eyelash/eyebrow tinting
  • Electrolysis
  • Dry needling
  • Piercing - ear (gun only)
  • Piercing - body
  • Tattooing
  • Cosmetic tattooing
  • Colonic irrigation


Type of feeCost
Application fee$104
Registration fee$216

Before you apply

If you’re starting a new business, you’ll need to:

  • submit an application for plans approval
  • submit floor plans showing the setup of the treatment rooms including handwash basins, storage and cleaning areas
  • provide details of all finishes and equipment in the salon.

When you apply

When you submit your application, you’ll receive an invoice from Council. An Environmental Health Officer (EHO) will then assess the plans and provide feedback.

When the build is complete a final inspection is conducted to ensure it is suitable for registration.

After your inspection, complete the Application for Registration of Health Premises form (DOCX 403 KB).

You need to complete this form and pay the fee to get your Public Health and Wellbeing Act registration before operating your business.

Submit applications to:

Health Services Unit
City of Port Phillip
Private Bag No 3
St Kilda 3182

Email: healthservicesunit@portphillip.vic.gov.au
Phone: 03 9209 6292

After you apply

If your application has been approved by Council, you’ll receive a certificate of registration.

Transfer of registration

You may want to have a business (premises) checked by an Environmental Health Officer if you’re thinking of buying it.

Complete the Application for Transfer Inspection Disclosure form (DOC 67 KB). to arrange an inspection.

The Environmental Health Officer will inspect the premises and write an inspection report.

Before you can access this report, you’ll need written consent from the existing owner.

When you’re ready to continue with the transfer of registration, complete the Application for Transfer of Registration form (DOC 86 KB). Then return it with the relevant fee to:

Health Services Unit
City of Port Phillip
Private Bag No 3
St Kilda 3182

Email: healthservicesunit@portphillip.vic.gov.au
Phone: 03 9209 6292

If you’re planning changes to the business (premises) or the activities you're doing, you may need approval from the:

  • Health Services Unit
  • Council’s Planning and Building departments.

It’s the applicant's responsibility to ensure all relevant permits have been sought. You can use our Business Permit Finder to help you determine which permits you need.

Contact us

Health Services Unit
Online: My Port Phillip
Email: healthservicesunit@portphillip.vic.gov.au
Phone: 03 9209 6292