Rotary Park restoration

We are restoring Rotary Park and building a new play space to make it more attractive, friendly and usable.

Location

St Kilda foreshore

Cost

The project has been supported with funding from the Rotary Clubs of the Port Phillip area and Stokehouse.

Milestones

Why are we doing this?

In January 2014, Stokehouse restaurant, next to Rotary Park, was destroyed by fire. While the park was not destroyed, the playground was removed to house the construction site compound for the rebuilding of the Stokehouse restaurant.

The impact

The project will bring a new dimension to the St Kilda foreshore.

Objectives

We are restoring Rotary Park and building a new play space to make it more attractive, friendly and usable. The restored space will feature:

  • water play areas
  • mound slide
  • scramble net
  • in-ground trampolines
  • renovated lawns
  • garden beds
  • new tree planting
  • upgraded picnic and BBQ facilities
  • new lighting
  • improved access from the Esplanade to the beach
  • Catani Arch as the focal point of the park.

For enquiries and questions, contact the Open Space Projects team by email: openspace@portphillip.vic.gov.au

Or you can contact Council by any of the ways on our Contact Us page.

History of the Rotary Park

The idea of creating a small park on the St Kilda foreshore was suggested by the Rotary Club of St Kilda in 2001 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the separation of the Colony of Victoria from NSW in 1851. This section of the foreshore has been home to the Catani Arch footbridge since 1916. When Council agreed to name this site Rotary park, a small playground and barbecue area was built in 2001.

The playground was a small neighbourhood-category playground with traditional play equipment including a small multi-purpose unit and swings. In addition to the playground, a barbecue, picnic area and small retaining walls with the Rotary Park name were also installed in 2001.

In January 2014, Stokehouse restaurant, next to Rotary Park, was destroyed by fire. While the park was not destroyed, the playground was removed to house the construction site compound for the rebuilding of the Stokehouse restaurant.