Why are we doing this?
In recent years, the condition of the playground equipment has steadily declined and recently we needed to remove the playground due to its poor condition and ongoing safety issues.
Our concept plan for a new playground responds to this special location, catering to all ages and abilities and will meet the current Australian Standards. As part of these works, we have also considered improvements to the picnic and barbecue areas and pathways to and around the reserve. This includes the pathway to the Beacon Hill Lookout.
In 2019/21, we sought your feedback on a draft concept plan for the new playground. Due to the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak, this project was put on hold for 12 months.
We recently received funding through the LRCI program and will be ready to start construction soon.
Works will begin in mid-September for the playground, BBQ/picnic areas and pathways to the Beacon.
Access to other areas of the park will remain open during construction.
Some car parking on Point Ormond Road may also be affected temporarily. Please follow any signage or directions around the construction site.
LRCI-funded projects aim to deliver infrastructure and public space changes that will help us improve safety, access and amenity throughout our City.
Key improvements at Point Ormond Reserve will include:
- new trees and garden beds
- new irrigation system around the playground area
- Construction of new paths between the playground and the existing Point Ormond lookout path and Bay Trail
- improvements to access around Point Ormond Lookout
- construction of new barbeque areas including a new picnic shelter (main area adjacent playground and minor area behind the lookout).
The new playground will incorporate:
- accessible ‘Beacon-style’ play structures
- mound slides
- a variety of swings
- a double flying fox
- a wheelchair accessible carousel
- nature play and musical instruments
- a water pump play area.